Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trailer Bunks Scratching / Skuffing Hull Is It Normal?

Hey all, got a couple newb questions if you guys don't mind. Just picked myself up 2013 VX Deluxe the other day, and took it out a couple days over the weekend. Purchased it with 35 hours on it. Took it out all this weekend, had a blast. However, when I go home and clean it and do all the typical things you should be, I guess I tend to start nitpicking scratches. They drive me nuts! Not sure why, as I'm hoping the fellow ski community might shed some light on this surely easy, but bothersome question. Hull scratches!. Or what look to be scratches in the gel coat.

Ski is sitting on a brand new Continental trailer 2014. And bunk pads are in perfect condition. However, when you look under the boat where the pads ride, you can see scuffs, or scratches running down the length of where the ski is riding on the bunk pads. Again very new here and this could be completely normal. But it looks as if the scratches/scuffs are into the gel coat. As i can run a my fingernail across them and feel that they are slightly indented. When i bring the ski in from the water. The ski is floating and goes on about halfway, then i hook up the winch hook to secure it the rest of the way up. This sliding action is what seems to cause these scratches. Is this normal? If so, I'd hate to see a boat that weighs several thousands pounds if not more. Yet alone an 800lb Jet Ski. Will these scratches effect performance? And what procedures will I ever need to take if they get too bad? Refinish the bottom?

Thanks for all the help guys. Its really appreciated.

+1
    Well even with the pads in perfect condition you will have contaminants such as sand and debris in the water at the ramp that will cause wear marks, now you really should not be seeing anything major but small scratches are to be expected over time.

+1
    I think you are being hyper-anal about it. It's just part of owning a ski. Nothing to worry about as it is inevitable, even on brand new skis. The only other option is rollers but I don't suggest them because they can deform your hull.

Thanks for the replies guys. It really is appreciated. This community helps people like me so much with learning, and enjoying ourselves more on the water.

I decided to take a quick photo for you after work. I'm really hoping you are going to tell me, this is completely normal and to go out and enjoy myself. Is Liquid Rollers from west marine something I should consider using on the bunks to help minimize this sort of damage? Keep in mind however, the ski had 35 hours when I received it, and I have only taken it out 3 times since I've had it in the last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-06-03 17.57.09.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	331200

Again thank you in advance for all the help.

+1
    That's not nice to see on a new ski........maybe try & get the trailer deeper in the water so your not winching the ski onto the bunks so much. Can not understand why roller bunks are not more common over there......My old FX was over 300hrs & my 2012 is now at 120hrs.......always used roller bunks......both had no marks from the rollers even with those hours!

+1
    Can use something called Liquid Roller which is a silicone spray that you can spray on to reduce friction and to launch a little deeper and pull up on your ski until it touches the bow stop.

+1
    Or just put plain silicone spray on it when its dry. It should last a while. I did it because I swap skis and trailers all the time, now I can do it by myself and no winches!!! Just gotta make sure your straps and winch are tight before towing!

+1
    What about " Honey Badger " boat bunks? Are these any good?

+1
    bunk slides should be on every PWC owners trailer. $35 make loading and unloading the easiest thing. I can push my RXT off one handed

+1
    I was browsing just now and saw these. Look's good, anyone try these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	336872  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information