Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: GPS Mount GTR

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Live Toronto, Ride Georgian Bay
    Posts
    11
    +1
    1

    GPS Mount GTR

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm trying to find a good solution for mounting a GPS to a GTR215.

    RAM mounts recently came out with a double suction cup that looks promising:

    http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...0/Default.aspx

    I've always been hesitant to use suction cups for mounting anything on a sea-doo, even simple lightweight GoPro's have a tenancy to fall off at speed. I figure that with a double suction cup there is a slightly better chance, but I'm continuing my hunt for other options.

    In the past there was a custom glovebox lid that was available for the Garmin GPSmap 76, but that was made for the older generation of sea-doo's. Has anyone seen anything similar for more recent ski's and GPS units?

    I guess as a last resort I could drill some holes for a Ram mount but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

    Any insight would be great!

    Thanks
    Nick


  2. #2
    RGUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    Posts
    551
    +1
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by nickvann View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    I'm trying to find a good solution for mounting a GPS to a GTR215.

    RAM mounts recently came out with a double suction cup that looks promising:

    http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...0/Default.aspx

    I've always been hesitant to use suction cups for mounting anything on a sea-doo, even simple lightweight GoPro's have a tenancy to fall off at speed. I figure that with a double suction cup there is a slightly better chance, but I'm continuing my hunt for other options.

    In the past there was a custom glovebox lid that was available for the Garmin GPSmap 76, but that was made for the older generation of sea-doo's. Has anyone seen anything similar for more recent ski's and GPS units?

    I guess as a last resort I could drill some holes for a Ram mount but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

    Any insight would be great!

    Thanks
    Nick
    I just installed and hardwired a Garmin Montana 600 to my RXPX last week and am super happy with how it all went. I used a RAM setup. It consisted of a RAM ball mount which replaced one of the bolts going through the handle bars. Then a clamp and ball mount to my GPS. Had it out last week for the first time, couldn't be happier with the operation. Perfectly visible, no vibration, fully adjustable even underway.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Live Toronto, Ride Georgian Bay
    Posts
    11
    +1
    1
    Sounds great, would be awesome to see a photo of the end result if you have one.

    I assume that works really well on the RXPX due to the exposed bolts... don't think it would work on the more shrouded GTR handlebars.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGUN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickvann View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    I'm trying to find a good solution for mounting a GPS to a GTR215.

    RAM mounts recently came out with a double suction cup that looks promising:

    http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...0/Default.aspx

    I've always been hesitant to use suction cups for mounting anything on a sea-doo, even simple lightweight GoPro's have a tenancy to fall off at speed. I figure that with a double suction cup there is a slightly better chance, but I'm continuing my hunt for other options.

    In the past there was a custom glovebox lid that was available for the Garmin GPSmap 76, but that was made for the older generation of sea-doo's. Has anyone seen anything similar for more recent ski's and GPS units?

    I guess as a last resort I could drill some holes for a Ram mount but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

    Any insight would be great!

    Thanks
    Nick
    I just installed and hardwired a Garmin Montana 600 to my RXPX last week and am super happy with how it all went. I used a RAM setup. It consisted of a RAM ball mount which replaced one of the bolts going through the handle bars. Then a clamp and ball mount to my GPS. Had it out last week for the first time, couldn't be happier with the operation. Perfectly visible, no vibration, fully adjustable even underway.

  4. #4
    RGUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    Posts
    551
    +1
    53
    Wish I had taken one of the back of the unit now.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o6tddl86m...531_200913.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydnqgh6ajf...519_114228.jpg

    i got the idea here on greenhulk. So a search would find much better pictures of the installation.

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Get the ram mount ball with either the threaded stud or female threads and you can replace a bolt somewhere with it. Works perfect with no drilling required.

  6. #6
    I have a ram handlebar mount on my gti. Works perfect.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Live Toronto, Ride Georgian Bay
    Posts
    11
    +1
    1
    Any chance you could post a photo? I'm curious as to where exactly you attached it, was it literally around one of the grips? That looks like the only place that would be narrow enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by martfart View Post
    I have a ram handlebar mount on my gti. Works perfect.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Live Toronto, Ride Georgian Bay
    Posts
    11
    +1
    1
    I looked at that option, but on the newer gti and gtr skis there don't appear to be many exposed bolts near the console to achieve that. Now, this is all from memory, I don't have the gtr I front of me, so if anyone knows of a useable bolt location please chime in!

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Get the ram mount ball with either the threaded stud or female threads and you can replace a bolt somewhere with it. Works perfect with no drilling required.

  9. #9
    Will take a pic as soon as i put it in the water. This is a pic from google

    http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/v...?size=prodfull

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Live Toronto, Ride Georgian Bay
    Posts
    11
    +1
    1
    Im very very familiar with the RAM product, just never seen it actually mounted on a gti or gtr. As I mentioned, I figure the only place narrow enough to mount it that wouldn't interfere with the IBR is at the very end of the handlebar (around the grip). I'm thinking of trying to use a Garmin Montana, but that might be cumbersome way out at the end of the handlebar.


    Look forward ward to seeing your photo if/when you have a chance.


    Quote Originally Posted by martfart View Post
    Will take a pic as soon as i put it in the water. This is a pic from google

    http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/v...?size=prodfull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. gps mount pics
    By DIGGS in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
  2. GPS mount
    By Beagleman62 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 06:56 AM
  3. RXP GPS Mount
    By actorsource in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
  4. GPS mount?
    By RxPrider in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
  5. small gps mount made easy
    By nitro rxp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •