Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Polaris Genesis EMM issue?

Hello,
    I have a 1999 polaris genesis that has a no start issue. It is fuel injected with the Ficht system and i do not believe it is working correctly.

The ski does have spark and the gauges all seem to work but she just wont start w/o gas poured directly into the throttle body from a can.

I really hope it is not an emm issue but if it is i am willing to get it repaired by one of the companies that do it.(If so do i need to have the jetski reprogrammed by someone with polaris wrench or is it plug and play?)

Does anyone have any recommendations, or would you suggest parting the ski?

Anyways this is my first post with greenhulk,thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by K447; 06-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Bump anyone know anything about this ski? Or did i post this in the wrong catergory

Banned User
    +1
    Its either an EMM or a stator issue. First thing I would do is check the voltage on the white/red wire while cranking. Should be 20 volts cranking and jump to 45 volts when running.

When you get the EMM repaired it already matches your injectors. In fact, I don't think the 99s were matched to the injectors. So no worries there.

Do you have access to a known good EMM?

+1
    My Virage i had the same symptoms. I changed the C89 cap and it runs like a champ.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I had an issue with no start and it turned out to be the display. It has a security feature in it that will kill the ability to start it untill the correct code is input. Mine said "unlocked" but it was still 'locking' in the background.

Worth a shot, and takes less than 5 minutes to try another one.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Oh and the 99's all had injectors that were the same tolerances. They had so many rejects that the later years required the EMM to have the flow data input to compensate for design variances in the injectors.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickvicino440 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a 1999 polaris genesis that has a no start issue. It is fuel injected with the Ficht system and i do not believe it is working correctly.

The ski does have spark and the gauges all seem to work but she just won't start w/o gas poured directly into the throttle body from a can.
    If it will start and then continue to run, but only if primed with gasoline down the throttle body throat, that is a classic symptom of weak fuel injector voltage.

If it will start when primed but will NOT keep running then the problem may be slightly different.

Find a place to tap into the White/Red wires and measure the DC voltage. Red meter probe to White/Red and black meter probe to engine ground.

On a good engine the voltage on White/Red will jump up to over 20 volts as soon as the engine begins cranking. The fuel injectors need this voltage in order to actually inject fuel.

As soon as the engine starts the voltage jumps up higher to right around 45 volts DC.

In you case I suspect the injector voltage is way below 20 volts during cranking, hence no fuel coming from the fuel injectors. The engine does have spark, so when you prime it with gasoline it starts and immediately revs up. The higher RPM allows the injector voltage to rise into the operating range and the engine continues to run.

Since the engine cranks and runs when primed the problem has nothing to do with the MFI display.

The 1999 FFI Genesis does use Ficht fuel injectors that are unique to that model year. The EMM is also unique to 1999.

Thank you everyone for all the replies!
    i don't know why but I didn't get emailed on any of these. I will start troubleshooting tomorrow!
    thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    gb
    Last edited by FichtEMMRepair.com; 01-12-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickvicino440 View Post
    Hello,

The ski does have spark and the gauges all seem to work but she just won't start w/o gas poured directly into the throttle body from a can.
    If it will start and then continue to run, but only if primed with gasoline down the throttle body throat, that is a classic symptom of weak fuel injector voltage.

If it will start when primed but will NOT keep running then the problem may be slightly different.

Find a place to tap into the White/Red wires and measure the DC voltage. Red meter probe to White/Red and black meter probe to engine ground.

On a good engine the voltage on White/Red will jump up to over 20 volts as soon as the engine begins cranking. The fuel injectors need this voltage in order to actually inject fuel.

As soon as the engine starts the voltage jumps up higher to right around 45 volts DC.

In you case I suspect the injector voltage is way below 20 volts during cranking, hence no fuel coming from the fuel injectors. The engine does have spark, so when you prime it with gasoline it starts and immediately revs up. The higher RPM allows the injector voltage to rise into the operating range and the engine continues to run.

Since the engine cranks and runs when primed the problem has nothing to do with the MFI display.

The 1999 FFI Genesis does use Ficht fuel injectors that are unique to that model year. The EMM is also unique to 1999.
    The ski starts when primed and runs on it's own fuel when the throttle is wide open.
    The volts while cranking are around 18 but in the middle of my testing the shear pin happened to bust under the flywheel. I am running to Home Depot now to try and get a replacement and continue my testing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information