Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEW to yamaha section! Need some help!

**i apoligize for such a long post but please bear with me, im looking to make a purchase as soon as possible so im trying to learn as much as i can in advance so i dont look like a complete rookie and get talked over by the dealer haha!**
    Hey guys, ive decided to head over to the yamaha section as im in the market for a new ski! im pretty new to this and thought i had my heart set on an RXP so ive spent most of my time so far in the sea doo area...until someone over there suggested i take a look at the VXR/S's and FZ's, which im very glad they did because the pretty much the favorite im leaning towards as of now is the VXR. i just wanted to get some input from you yama guys on this machine. i like that its a little simpler/bare bones without a lot of bells and whistles and such, and with this being my first ski im fine with because i wouldnt mine learnig on something a little simpler anyways. i also like the fact it is a "smaller ski" i dont really like the big machines as it will usually only be me riding with 1 occasional passenger, and my riding are is generally calm lake/ river riding. also my budget is 10k and this seems to fit it perfectly while maintaining the speed and performance factor (i found a 2014 at a local dealer for 9,999 which they claim is 1700 0ff msrp). the main reason i was into the RXP's is because that is literally what every one of my buddys have(with the exception of 1 RXT) and i wanted somethin that could keep up/possibly run them with a few mods, since they kno nothin of mods or have any interst in them. so my question is...
    1) how will this VXR keep up with there 2010-2012 RXP/XT's, and any chance i will be able to run them straight line?
    2) what are the main differences between the VXR and the VXS?

+1
    Not 100% sure of the differences on the VXR & VXS as I only briefly looked at them when picking up my FZR. But probably 2 vs 3 person seat configutration and a few small items.

The performance is actually rather good in that it still tops out high 60's speed wise as it has the light weight nanoxcel hull, and while its not supercharged that does help keep the weight down so it still has great performance. With an additional passenger and no supercharger you will notice a performance drop over the SC'd ski's. But while they have to fill up at the gas pump you can still be running around WOT on 87 octane with plenty of fuel left. Its amazing what that ski will get at WOT verse a SC'd ski

ok yea i mean thats what i liked about, reminds a lil of my old foxbody stang, not the most power out of the box but a really light platform that responded well to even minor boltons. and if its just a difference of a 2 vs 3 seat im deffinitly going with the 2 seater. so thats what i was thinking about goin with the NA version with the high compression motor and seeing how it responds with a couple mods and see if i can run my buddys rxp, again im new to this so id like to here if anyone has also went this route.

Also with running the 87 octane, im assuming this is what they are tuned for but would it be better/benficial running a higher grade fuel like 93 through these motors? and could you do it if you wanted? or would it be better to just stick with the 87?

the VXR just fits perfect into my price range as of now and being a new rider im just wondering if its a good platform to build on speed wise, you know because im gonna learn to ride with it and as i gain more experience (and cash lol) i will deffinatly be lookin to add some mods here and there to get faster...

+1
    the only difference between the vxr and the vxs is the seat and boarding step that comes on the vxr, and colors that's its available it, that may have changed in 2014, but again, the main difference is the seat

ok so its a purely cosmetic difference?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Yes.....

If modding is your plan, you may want to look else where, the VXs/r is a high 60's, low 70's ski at best, air intake , exhaust, ride plate, intake grate,ECU reflash will put you in the low 70's...The VXs/r is a no frills dependable ski with low maintenance and should last well over 500 hours....I am at 275+ hrs with only regular maintenance and a prop and housing repair that was self induced....

9. +1 by:

and those are considered more of the basic end of mods right? and the high 60's low 70's would probably put me on par with my buddys RXP/T's without the inital 13-14k out of pocket(finance isnt an option for me)?

+1
    http://www.rd-performance.com/perfor...vxs/stage1.asp

If you look at that link you will see that you will top out around 72mph modded and would then need 91 octane for the new tune. Its a solid performing ski, just not huge potential over factory as its Naturally Aspirated and they have really squeezed a lot from it already from the factory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information