Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb Cleaner Advice

I got a 96 Wave Venture 700 from a buddy for next to nothing. Of course it had been sitting for over a year. I took the carbs apart and they were as bad as I've ever seen. I've fixed up old cycles and this is not my first PWC so I've been in a few carbs before. I've attached a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140521_162045.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	331125

I disassembled the carbs and soaked all the metal bits and the bodies in a paint can of Gunk carb cleaner for 2 days. Compresses air through every hole I see etc. Put back together with new rubber and gaskets. The ski will start idle and rev if I start it by dumping some pre-mix gas down the carbs. Once it sits over night it won't start again without the pre-mix down the carbs. I figure there is an internal passage or two that I have not gotten completely clean. So, I'm going to disassemble the carbs again and re-clean.

My question is if there is a product that comes recommended or possibly a trick that somebody knows to get every last bit of grime and gunk out of these carbs?

Thanks in advance.

Wow that carb is no joke! I don't think i would've even tired with it But either way how was the other side of the carb? I just did mine on a waveraider that was sitting for 15 years but it was just honey gas inside and clean up good..

I know there's a machine u put it in that gives it a sound wave that clears small ports inside lol i dont know the name of it Lol

Quote Originally Posted by EAndre View Post
    Wow that carb is no joke! I don't think i would've even tired with it But either way how was the other side of the carb? I just did mine on a waveraider that was sitting for 15 years but it was just honey gas inside and clean up good..

I know there's a machine u put it in that gives it a sound wave that clears small ports inside lol i dont know the name of it Lol
    The other side was not as bad (I didn't take a picture) and the other carb was not quite as bad (but still bad).

+1
    I use evinrude Johnson engine tuner. Foams up and works great. Compressed air thru the passages. That machine is called an ultrasonic cleaner, and it does work good.

+1
    I've used CLR and even diluted muriatic acid before. You need to keep a watchful eye with the acid as it eats aluminum.

Yamaha meek a decent carb cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I've used CLR and even diluted muriatic acid before. You need to keep a watchful eye with the acid as it eats aluminum.
    I'm going to try the muriatic acid thing. I read about it on a classic cycle forum. Somebody had some before and after pics of a carb that was in similar condition to mine. I'll update the thread after I try it. Probly next week before I get around to it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you need to investigate the fuel pump. it must be leaking air. it's a suction/pulse pump. check the hose to the crankcases. check the check valves to. specially the one held in by the tiiiiiiiiiinnnny screw.

9. +1 by:

So, I disassembled the carbs again. Soaked the bodies in a muriatic acid solution for about 20 min each. Then back into the carb cleaner for another few hours. Blew everything out with water and compressed air. Reassembled and seems to be doing much better. Haven had a chance to test it on the water yet but runs pretty decent on the hose and starts easy when cold.

I'm kind of surprised that it would even run at all. What I neglected to say in the first post was that the whole motor was full of water when I got it home. I think somebody filled it with water by running the hose without the motor running. It was sitting for over a year like that I think. My friend swears that was not the case and that it was running when he put it up. Whatever, I didn't give him much for it anyway. The compression is good and it sounds fine and doesn't smoke excessively (possibly a testament to the durability of these old Yamaha's). If I get this summer out of it I'll be happy then I'll throw a rebuilt motor in it for next year. Or who knows maybe it will last for a good long time.

Well the water test was not successful. I got it to run, but would not go over 12mph or so at full throttle, then it wouldn't restart after it got hot. It just won't rev up under load. So I checked the compression when I got home. I was expecting it to be bad. Nope - 145 front and 148 rear. So, I'm going to search out a replacement carb rack. I think the originals might just be too far gone to rebuild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information