Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why?!?!? Why?!?!?! Why?!?!?! Incredibly bad luck - Spun bearing?

Wow guys, I'm just so bummed out. I bought 2 GTI 130 SE's with low hours on them purely for reliability after tons of research.
    Had them out 3 times and fixed an issue with my '08 with the oil pressure switch.

Then I was out on the '09 and it was running fine. Both skis had fresh oil this year, levels perfect, never rolled over or injested water. I stopped it at the dock and then it wouldn't start. I thought it was the new DEKA battery so towed it (clamped line) to the launch and brought it home.

I charged the battery and had it tested (good battery). Put it back in and engine wouldn't crank though it tried. Thought I had a flat spot on the starter so I took the cone off and plugs out and turned it by hand and could tell it was harder than it should be for sure. Once I turned it a bit, I went back to the starter with plugs out and WOT it turned over but much slower than it should in my opinion.

I then put the plugs back in and tried to start it - it wouldn't crank again so I gave it a 1/4 turn by hand and tried again. This time it started and then stopped by itself off idle really quickly. Turn by hand again and back to the starter with the throttle ready to try to keep it running.

It will run but the horrible sqeak it makes at the end of a really quick brief rev is nasty. I then took the oil filter out and can see the powder on the filter and in the oil.

Wow, how depressing.

Any advice on what to do next? And, any thoughts on why it might have done it? I'm a good wrench and have done many engine swaps and component rebuilds etc on cars, motorcycles, and snowmobiles, but not a full rebuild to the crank and really don't want to start now.

N. Wildwood
    That is VERY surprising. Sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
    That is VERY surprising. Sorry man.
    Thanks man.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0489.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	331199

Palm Beach, Florida
    Obviously something happened before you bought the machines IMO........ That sucks, sorry man

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    Obviously something happened before you bought the machines IMO........ That sucks, sorry man
    Thanks...I suppose its possible it was overheated or took in water prior to me buying it, but other than textbook recovery back to running condition, likely the same as I or anybody would do, I'm not sure there's any point in for me to speculate what might have happened before they were mine. I put 8 more hours of tubing and jumping (fun) on it before launching and shutting it off once before it happened. Not like a water test ride would have revealed anything wrong with it. It ran/sounded perfect when I got it.

Any idea on what it's worth like it is? Looking to recover as fast as possible and will likely pick up a Wake 155 or something now. Just want to have an idea what I might get out of it if sold as is.

And, what is a guess on total cost of rebuild if I did it myself?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    Tampa Bay, FL
    May sound weird.... but check to see if you have any broken motor mounts.

Davison, Mi
    you sure the drive shaft will spin freely

Port St. Lucie, FL
    looks like it may have ate up a thrust washer,& maybe spun a bearing on the crank.
    Did the prop ever come loose?
    pull the pump, and check the prop...

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    looks like it may have ate up a thrust washer,& maybe spun a bearing on the crank.
    Did the prop ever come loose?
    pull the pump, and check the prop...
    +1, These are things that came to mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information