Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Accident This Weekend. Yamaha FZS Hull Repair?

I'm posting this for 2 reasons: First to remind everyone to be safe, and second to learn more about repairing the Nanoxcel hull on the Yamaha.

Got into a pretty decent pcw accident this weekend. I had both the FZS and GP1300R out. I was with my girl and ended up meeting up with my friend who was on a boat along with his girl and sister. We tied the skis up and hung out for a while, then took turns riding the skis. I was on the FZS and made the mistake of letting my friend's sister ride the GPR. When I ride I always try to keep a reasonable distance from other skis, especially with people I don't know well. She was riding like an idiot, making erratic turns, going full throttle, etc. Apparently she had ridden a decent amount before. I figured there were no other boats or skis close by so I kept my distance and let her have her fun.

I was about 100 yards away from the other ski and went to make a left turn. As soon as I made the turn I saw the dumb bitch was coming right at me. The distance was too close and there wasn't time to turn out of the way or jump off. The GPR stuck me in the left hip and threw me over 50 ft as it proceeded to run over my FZS. I got the wind knocked out of me but I was able to swim and make sure the bitch was ok, then looked over both skis. The GPR only had minor scuffing on the port side which will buff out and a damaged sponson. The FZS has a pretty good size crack on the top of the hull on the port side, splash guard was hanging by a bolt, and broken glove box. It looks like the GPR sponson was the main point of impact to the FZS, which is why there is so much damage. At this point I was so pissed off that I just wanted to get out of there. I got my girl and we rode the skis back to the dock. Pulled them out of the water and went back to her house.

I was in a decent amount of pain but nothing excruciating. I put some ice on my hip, had a few beers and popped some advil. About an hour later my hip started to swell up but I really didn't feel like going to the hospital. The next day the swelling got so bad I looked like I had gained 50 lbs. You could see the bulge through my t shirt. The pain still wasn't that bad so I iced it and went to the shop to get some work done. I talked to my sister in the afternoon and she pushed me to go to the hospital. I didn't want to because I really didn't want to sit in the ER for hours. By 10 pm I went to take a leak and noticed my dick was starting to swell so at that point I decided I better go to the ER.

So my girl took me to the hospital. The nurses were freaking out how swollen I was. They took blood and sent me for a catscan. Ended up being there for something like 7 hours for them to tell me that I have a severe hemotoma (bruising and swelling) but luckily no internal bleeding or damaged organs. The swelling around my dick was due to the swelling and blood flowing down due to gravity, but nothing that would subside in a few days. My girl took me home and we slept most of the day. Im pretty sore so have been laying around tryting to get some rest.

So now I am on here researching how to repair my ski. I already ordered the splash guard, brackets, rivets, gunwhale, and glove box from the greenhulk store which were pretty reasonably priced. Came out to just over $200. Now I need to figure out how to repair the cracks. Everything in the bottom half of the hull looks solid. The cracks are all in the top half and one extends down to where the two hull halves are bonded. When I rode the skis back about a mile after the accident, neither took on any water. As I understand epoxy bonds best to the Nanoxcel. Is there any particular brand that works best? I plan to align the cracks as best I can and sand down the paint in the affected area. Then let the epoxy soak into the exposed fibers. I plan to do 3-4 coats then sand the area smooth. The paint I will have taken care of by the body shop down the street from my shop. Is there any particular paint that is best or should I just give them the Yamaha paint code?

I appreciate any help guys and be careful who you let ride your skis. The dumb bitch is broke and hasn't even offered to help or do anything. She was too worried about the cell phone, license, and credit card she lost in the water. I don't think she even realizes how bad the situation could have been. I found out later she had drank a bunch of vodka prior. My friend only found out later on after he went to make a drink and it was all gone. Luckily no one was seriously injured or killed. First pic is about an hour after the accident. Second is the next day. Finally the poor ski.

Attachment 331191Attachment 331192Attachment 331193
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140530_171102.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	335127  
    Last edited by silver93t; 07-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.

+1

Accident This Weekend. Yamaha FZS Hull Repair?

Glad your ok, hit up rab1. He's in nj and repaired a nano hull before.

Howard
    Ryans auto body
    Ocean nj

+1
    Yeah, bring it to Howard. You need to use West Systems Epoxy. Anything that is cracked will have to be cut out! You cannot just hope to "glue" it together. I have the exact same ski (same color too) and was hit from behind from the rear to the front. The whole gunnel was cracked from the rear to just about where yours was hit. The guy who hit me did the repair (does fiberglass boat repairs for a living), but Howard did the painting. That was back in 2011 and is still holding up. Howard also is a great fiberglass guy. He did "paint" matching (instead of buying the super over priced "factory" paint) and in direct sunlight it looks perfect. Only at night under some odd lighting (e.g. halogen) you can notice a very slight difference between the hull and the hood (slight bit of green), but not enough to even worry about. In broad daylight you cannot even see where it was "blended". Unless you are a fiberglass guy, I would not attempt that repair myself.

Here's the number for his shop: Ryans Auto body (732) 493-4071

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Yeah, bring it to Howard. You need to use West Systems Epoxy. Anything that is cracked will have to be cut out! You cannot just hope to "glue" it together. I have the exact same ski (same color too) and was hit from behind from the rear to the front. The whole gunnel was cracked from the rear to just about where yours was hit. The guy who hit me did the repair (does fiberglass boat repairs for a living), but Howard did the painting. That was back in 2011 and is still holding up. Howard also is a great fiberglass guy. He did "paint" matching (instead of buying the super over priced "factory" paint) and in direct sunlight it looks perfect. Only at night under some odd lighting (e.g. halogen) you can notice a very slight difference between the hull and the hood (slight bit of green), but not enough to even worry about. In broad daylight you cannot even see where it was "blended". Unless you are a fiberglass guy, I would not attempt that repair myself.

Here's the number for his shop: Ryans Auto body (732) 493-4071
    thanks man I appreciate it

+1
    Dam.... you look sore. I feel your pain .. I T-boned a Kawi 300x this pass weekend. But I was CC racing. The 300 was not following the course correctly ... and turned rear words .... Big No No ! Well I did about the same amount of damage to right side of my ski. Same color also So please share your repair info as you proceed. Paint, epoxy ... etc. Thanks

+1
    Geez that looks painful, hope you heal quickly.
    Could have been a lot worse, be thankful you're not still in the hospital or 6 feet under.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Damn Hope you heal up soon! Thanks for not posting up a pic of your swollen dick.... although some of these Yamalog guys may be pm'ing you asking to see it .....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Damn Hope you heal up soon.... and thanks for not posting up a pic of your swollen dick! Although some of these Yamalog guys may be pm'ing you asking to see it .....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Damn Hope you heal up soon.... and thanks for not posting up a pic of your swollen dick! Although some of these Yamalog guys may be pm'ing you asking to see it .....
    lmfao

+1
    Damnnn, that could have ended very badly. Hope you start feeling better soon, that looks pretty painful from looking at them pics.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information