Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SC on water, TT on land

Interesting problem getting 06 RXP to start

I'm trying to get my '06 RXP to start, but the engine won't fire up, at least under a normal condition.

My ski has 34 hours and hasn't been started before hand in 2 years. Here are all the tests I have performed and my findings:

1. I drained all the old gas and put new 93 octane gas in.
    2. The starter turns over just fine, but engine won't fire up.
    3. Had the battery tested, and it is good.
    4. My turbosmart RRFPR is showing fuel pressure.
    5. My spark plugs, which have less than 5 hours of total use on them, do ignite after I tested them.
    6. Wiped the bottoms of the fuel injectors in case there was any gunk.

Additional information, I have a walbro fuel pump that is wired directly to the battery (switched on by a relay, of course).

Here is where it gets interesting. If I lower my rrfpr base pressure down to 20 PSI (or so the gauge says), it will start and run. If I raise it up higher, it won't. Also, I noticed that If I turn it up past 50, this unusual whining noise occurs, and its not a normal fuel pump whine.

This may be a possible problem with the rrfpr, which I hope not as they are not cheap. Does anyone have any other possible ideas on what may be causing this problem?

Thanks!

Paul
    Last edited by PTLanza; 06-03-2014 at 08:10 PM.

+1
    How high is the fuel pressure regulator set at, when switched on? What ECU are u using, and what size injectors?

SC on water, TT on land
    The rrfpr gauge base pressure reads 55-60 psi when the engine is not starting. The gauge base pressure reads about 20 psi when it will start. I'm running factory ECU and 42 lb injectors. It makes me wonder if its possible the pressure gauge is wrong, and when it's showing 60 psi that it's flooding the engine.

+1
    If you believe your flooding the engine then i would have to imagine when you pull those plugs again they'd be soaked....but that's no secret

SC on water, TT on land
    The spark plugs did look pretty wet when I pulled them, although I didn't smell a strong fuel smell (I am battling a sinus problems).

I'm starting to narrow down the source of the problem is coming from the turbosmart 800 rrfpr. After some additional searching, some people have said the turbosmart gets stuck, doesn't rise 1:1, and causes all kinds of issues. Others said its a high quality rrfpr. I'm debating whether or not to just purchase an aeromotive rrfpr and replace it. Any thoughts?

+1
    You definitely have a fuel issue, because those plugs shouldn't be wet at all...wet plugs =no spark..i agree rrfpr issue

Get fuel injectors cleaned. After 2 years high pressure just may keep them open (sticky injectors) and flowing fuel and then wet plugs.

+1
    Spin it over with the plugs out. See if lots of fuel sprays out
    Of the plug holes. The ECU Controls the injectors. It can go bad and flood the cyls sometimes.

9. +1 by:

SC on water, TT on land
    Thanks for the responses!

I don't think there are any problems with the fuel injectors. With 40+ psi still in the fuel system and the fuel pump fuse removed, I can watch the fuel pressure gauge cycle down with each fuel injector firing. I am pretty sure there's an issue with the rrfpr and it's dumping in way too much fuel for what the gauge reads, thus flooding the engine and causing it not to start.

I've ordered an aeromotive rrfpr to replace the turbosmart. I will put that in this weekend and see how it runs.

Thanks again!

+1
    Sounds like your injectors are spraying to much fuel. It's not a regulator problem. Your getting your engine to start by reducing the fuel supply to the rail. Check your injectors there probably hung open. A fuel pressure regulator is a very simple device. And it's working. Your able to turn the fuel psi up and down with it. That's all it does. Check your injectors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information