Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Ultra 150 Trouble at Idle

Hello All,

I recently took apart my Ultra 150 carb, cleaned it, and replaced the oil lines. The Ski is an 03 with 47 hours. All stock parts and carb tuning. I got the ski back together, and filled with 50:1 pre mix for the first tank since I changed the oil lines. The ski was tough to start. I pulled the plugs a couple of times and they were pretty wet with a dark what appeared to be fuel/oil mix. Finally got it started by going full choke, cranking for about 10-12 seconds until the first blip, turning off choke, then cranking again until it starts. Once started everything seemed to be running fine. The exception is it seems to need the idle to be set high to staying running. It will stay relatively stable in the range of 2200ish to 2500 (out of water, manual suggests setting at 1800). But if the idle is set below that, the engine bogs down until it dies. As it dips below 2000 it seems to run less smooth.

My first guess at the problem was that this was a result of the pre-mix, as in when the idle dropped down low the plugs would begin fouling and cause the engine to die. My second guess is a stuck diaphragm or needles, perhaps hanging open and causing a rich condition at idle killing it. The parts were in good condition when I had the carb apart and I paid particular attention to not pinching anything, though it doesn't mean it didn't happen I was curious if this were a possible symptom. Also, when I had the skin running I noticed a tiny bit of water coming from out of the bottom of the exhaust expansion chamber over where the number 2 cylinder is. I'm assuming this is not normal. Though I do not know what would cause this/what the implications of it are, perhaps it is causing my trouble. Is there some sort of hole down there that gets sealed?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll provide more information if necessary.

Don't listen to what the book tells you for the idle speed. I set mine by ear and normally in water 800-1000 rpm while out of the water its around 2k.

You should double check everything make sure your oil lines are full and take her for a spin. I bet you she will smooth out in the water

Don't listen to what the book tells you for the idle speed. I set mine by ear and normally in water 800-1000 rpm while out of the water its around 2k.

You should double check everything make sure your oil lines are full and take her for a spin. I bet you she will smooth out in the water
    Definitely noted. I considered that possibility. It used to idle pretty close to the book numbers last summer, but perhaps it needs to be ran with a load to really settle in. I didn't want to damage anything if this was a symptom that could be diagnosed as probelematic, I plan to run compression numbers in the AM. The may thing that has me concerned is the water that seems to be coming from the bottom of the exhaust.

+1
    Did you mess with the exhaust?

The water pipe (part #39192-3701) has been known to leak.

+1
    If that's a concern of yours I would pull the pipe. 5 bolts and a couple of hose clamps and your temp sensor. There's nothing on the bottom of the pipe that's leaking unless it's cracked. The only external exits would be the temperature sensor and the water fitting in the rear, both of these are visible and on the top side of the pipe.

Did you mess with the exhaust?

The water pipe (part #39192-3701) has been known to leak.
    No messing with the pipe, also not the part leaking. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html is the part I have leaking.

If that's a concern of yours I would pull the pipe. 5 bolts and a couple of hose clamps and your temp sensor. There's nothing on the bottom of the pipe that's leaking unless it's cracked. The only external exits would be the temperature sensor and the water fitting in the rear, both of these are visible and on the top side of the pipe.
    I figured the manual was lying on how easy that thing was to take off. But that's straight from the horse's mouth. Your insight appears to confirm that No, there should not be any water dripping from there. So in the trouble shooting pyramid:
    1:What problems/tendencies could a crack and leak in this location cause? (Possibility of water leaking into the engine?)
    2: Is it possibly the source of my problem? (Can't idle at proper speed due to exhaust leak?)

I plan to do a compression test in the AM, I'll pull the pipe ASAP with pics to follow. I stuck a mirror under there, but the best sight picture I could get was in "ehhhhh..." which when that is your expertise on the subject at hand... Yeah I'll get a better view.

Is your flush dripping alittle water which runs down the pipe?

Theres only two gaskets that could possibly leak on the pipe. Its either one of those. If its cracked you go problems, never seen one crack before.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake51 View Post

No messing with the pipe, also not the part leaking. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html is the part I have leaking.
    This link shows the complete parts diagram. You'll need to give us a part number so we know what you're looking at.

I did a compression test today, 130 across the board for all cylinders.

Apologies, forgot to include the part number. Part # 18088

Here is a picture of what I found beneath the exhaust. Appears to be a pin sized hole where I thought water was coming from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultra 150 Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	331356

Also, would the fact that I'm running 50:1 pre mix in combo with the oil injection prevent it from idling properly?

I did a compression test today, 130 across the board for all cylinders.

Apologies, forgot to include the part number. Part # 18088

Here is a picture of what I found beneath the exhaust. Appears to be a pin sized hole where I thought water was coming from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultra 150 Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	331356

Also, would the fact that I'm running 50:1 pre mix in combo with the oil injection prevent it from idling properly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information