Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Toying with the idea of selling my 1390 for a 4 stroke....thoughts?

So I have a great modded 1200R. It is super quick, and the only ski faster than it is my Dad's modded FZS (on my lake). Problem is, as anyone with a GPR knows, it's a flat water boat. I tried to race a kid on an FX-SHO on Memorial Day weekend and about died trying to catch him...of course we hit a spot in the lake where it got smooth and I walked off. That said, I got to thinking. It would be nice to have a 4 stroke...I mean, it's only going to get harder to find parts for the 2 strokes, adding oil is a pain, and we are expecting our first child in a week or so. Selling the GPR and my wife's XL1200 and getting just one decently used 4 stroke is looking better in the long term. I'm thinking an FZS like Dad's, doesn't have to be new.

But I am torn. I would miss the rip roaring sound of my ski. It's loud, and I like that. It's like the old "hot rod" of skis...sure it smokes and gets terrible fuel economy, but man it is fun!

Anyone have thoughts on this? We put a ton of work into this ski, so I'd miss it. But getting beat to hell on rough weekends isn't as fun as it used to be either.

+1
    I let my beloved Pro1200 go 2 years ago to get a 4 stroke (a '12 RXP-X). There are days I still regret it. They're just totally different animals. If you have a lot of time and money into your 1390 I would keep it.

+1
    With all the work you and your loved ones put in that awesome boat, I think you should hang on to it because there is nothing like beating a supercharged seapoo with a smoking (literally) fast GPR. Just get you a Leo's holeshot kit, and shim the rideplate down a bit. Of course you could get a new FZS SHVO 2014 fast one and "try" to beat your poor ole creaky bones dad. GPR's are a lot of fun, and feel a lot nimbler than a FZS., but on the other hand if you are feeling too old you might have to jump to the new one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    With all the work you and your loved ones put in that awesome boat, I think you should hang on to it because there is nothing like beating a supercharged seapoo with a smoking (literally) fast GPR. Just get you a Leo's holeshot kit, and shim the rideplate down a bit. Of course you could get a new FZS SHVO 2014 fast one and "try" to beat your poor ole creaky bones dad. GPR's are a lot of fun, and feel a lot nimbler than a FZS., but on the other hand if you are feeling too old you might have to jump to the new one.
    Very salient points...thanks for the insight, mysterious man that I do not know at all....

That's priceless!

Gotta say this gave me a good laugh when I read it.

+1
    It's paid for and runs great I imagine?

i see no immediate shortage of 2 stroke parts.

How often often does your lake get choppy?

Do u really want to spend double? The cost of your ski to save a small amount of maintenance ?

how many hrs a season do u ride?

i like having a quick 11yr old 2 stroke that cost a 3rd of the new skis. With similar or better performance.
    The sounds it makes is loud sometimes, but it also sounds badass compared to the new vacuums.

+1
    I had a 2001 GP1200R, sold it only to find a 2003 GP1300R. So after 6 years of GP's I just sold the 03 last week. I'm actually sad at this point, but I got top dollar for the ski (at least in my opinion, $4500). I usually ride with 7 - 8 other skis. The rest of the boys are now all 4-strokes, mostly SHO's, I was the last 2 Stroke to hold out. I'm in SoCal, we ride the Colorado River and all the assoicated Lakes, Powell, Mead and Mohave. My concerns were too numerous to stay with the GP. We ride the river so our distances are usually around 100 miles round trip. If I was WOT at times I would have to worry about gas compared to the other guys. Rough waters I had to back off while the other boys plowed through it. Also in the back of my mind was the oil. When would I have a oil line come off. Hours, watching the hour meter. When would I need a rebuild, 150, 200 hours. The 4-Stroke boys don't worry about hours anymore , since the new Yamaha's are putting crazy hours on the ski's without any repairs to be done. In our group we are all 50+ so most of the guys are saying this is their last ski. In CA there has been 2 - Stroke restrictions put on the Lakes so now I would have to use the wife's Sea Doo, that doesn't make me happy. After reading all the new improvements of the Yamaha's 2014 SVHO and Riva's new plug and play GPS limiter for $249 coming out in July, this will be my new ski. I like this forum. Lots of great information, sometimes too much information. Example, I want to buy the new 2014 SVHO but the paint on the bottom side of the hull is holding me back right now. I wish some VIN's would be shared to see if there was a bad run of paint.

Good luck with your decision. I would say move forward with the technology.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this post but I would appreciate any help. I just built a 2001 gp1390r, mild port job, single pipe, 14-20 solas. This thing is a banshee out of the hole but tops out at 62mph. I would like to be in the 70s but not sure what I'm doing wrong. Rpm's are around 7500 , shouldn't it be faster than this ??

+1
    You need a steeper prop. 7,500 is really high. 7200-7300 is the sweet spot if I remember correctly. When mine was "motor" stock (grate and plate only mods) I ran a 13/19 Solas and topped out at 65 mph. With the right hull mods and prop (use the search function, there's tons of info on this) you can probably get pretty close to 70 with what you've done. But your prop is holding you back from going faster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMagic View Post
    It's paid for and runs great I imagine?

i see no immediate shortage of 2 stroke parts.

How often often does your lake get choppy?

Do u really want to spend double? The cost of your ski to save a small amount of maintenance ?

how many hrs a season do u ride?

i like having a quick 11yr old 2 stroke that cost a 3rd of the new skis. With similar or better performance.
    The sounds it makes is loud sometimes, but it also sounds badass compared to the new vacuums.
    To answer a few of your questions....

Our lake gets pretty choppy on the weekends. Most of the lake is bordered by seawalls, which just bounce waves right back out into the main body. It's hard to keep up with 4 strokes without bouncing all over the place. But there are sections of the lake where it's smoother (wetlands that absorb the boat wakes) and it's more fun there.
    SIDE NOTE- I hate gigantic wake board boats. They ruin the lake! And most of them just pull around kids on tubes at 15 mph, throwing out huge wakes.....ugh

We ride 4 months tops. Mid October if the weather is nice enough, that's the latest.

I've put about 40 engine hours on my ski since the rebuild in 2012, which wasn't done until July, so to ballpark it, I'd say about 25 hours a season. I know that's nothing compared to riders in warmer climates....

I LOVE the sound. Like I said, it's like a muscle car, loud and smoky...and it gets peoples' attention. I try not to be rude about it, but if I run along a 4 stroke, I give it a few revs...my Dad likes the "stealth" approach. I figure most 4 strokers think mine is just old and loud....until I blow by them

My plan (if I do it) is to sell this one and my wife's XL1200 and just buy one ski. We're days away from our first child, so this summer is pretty much shot (newborns...they'll take up your free time). And I would buy used.

Yes it's paid for (well I still owe my Dad a steak dinner for helping me with it...gotta get on that!) and runs like a champ. It still has more in it too, it's not revving out. I think it has close to 80 in it when we finally tach it.

as I write this....hell, I might as well hang on to it for a few more years. It can be a pain in the rough stuff, but I know I'd kick myself for selling it. It's still the fastest flat water hull ever made. Maybe I'll do an RXP conversion or throw triples on it to beat that dusty old fart

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information