Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help!! My Seadoo XPDI won't start

Hi All,

Really need some help,

My 2004 Seadoo XPdi won't start,

I can put fuel in the spark plug holes and it will run for 5 seconds then die once the fuel burns up,

then I put the lanyard in it beeps 4 times every 3 seconds. looking at the manual this is supposed to mean that the key had been left in the machine, but it makes the beeps from the start. It does have the red light on and "maint" on the display. I can't remember if that is related or not?

I pulled out the spark plugs and unplugged the injectors one at a time and can see a mist from each cylinder that has the injector plugged in, so I don't think it is a fuel problem.

I know my model has an air injector also but I'm not sure how to test this one, would the engine run when I put fuel in the cylinders with a bad air injector?

I'm so lost with this and not sure what to check, any advice would be greatly worshipped

I'm considering buying a candoo to check the codes, are they any good?
    Last edited by lukelegend; 06-04-2014 at 03:45 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll need a candoo or other code reader to start getting to the bottom of the problem. Keep in mind that a good understanding of the di engine is important to successfully fix a problem. Getting the codes is a start.

Lots of DI fixit stuff here so you can get a start on basics. Check the air pump outlet sometimes that hose will bust.

How many hours _exactly_?

How's the battery?

Sunk it recently?

Thanks for the reply,

I've ordered a candoo, just the home user one, will see how that goes once it gets here.

it has about 85hrs on it, the battery is good, I have another 1999 Xpl, carb version that I tried the battery from as well.

No hasn't been sunk It will fire when I tip fuel down it, so spark is ok, It looks like the injectors are working as it puts out a mist when turning over and no mist when I unplug the injector.

Could it be an Air Injector Problem?

I'm hoping the candoo system will help me out trying to fix this issue.

Is there anything else I should check?

+1
    air injectors are kinda common problems on this model, but start by reading the codes, then clearing the codes, then trying to start the ski again, whatever the "current" problem is will be shown as new codes.

You'll also need to get a fuel pressure gauge. Luckily air injectors are plentiful and sometimes you can catch a good deal on them on that famous auction website..members here might have a couple laying around also.

some history about the development of the issue can be helpful also. I assume you hear the fuel pump doing it's business when you put the key on the post?

did you eyeball the line coming out of the air pump? The air pumps can be problematic, but not on an 85 hour motor, unless it took water.

BTW, the "home" candoo is exactly the same as the "shop" version without the limit on hin's. With candoo you can code keys for both of your skis as keyed alike which is helpful out on the water.

[QUOTE=nmpeter;2390569]

You'll also need to get a fuel pressure gauge.

thanks, I might grab one on that auction site now.

did you eyeball the line coming out of the air pump?

Im not sure what you mean?

will the candoo be able to test the air and fuel injectors ?

+1
    there is a braided line coming out of the airpump, they have been known to fail. Candoo can fire the injectors no doubt..not so sure about the air injector haven't had to do anything on 951 cept clear the codes and see which of the pricey solenoids is failing this time.

Thanks, Will check the lines, I can hear the fuel pump working when I plug the key in. I have my new candoo arriving on Tuesday so will see how it goes with the fault codes. Will report back on any updates...

+1
    Fuel pump should read 27 lbs when you engage the key. After it starts you should see 107 lbs of pressure to the fuel rail. The manual has a entire page with a flow chart on troubleshooting the pump. Its pretty help full.
    The air pump should see 90 lbs while its running.

+1
    on the 951 the candoo will hook up to the diagnostic connector, port side in the forward compartment, the 951 does not use the DESS adapter.

Thanks Guys, Will report back once I get the Candoo on Wednesday, I've located the connector Already and loaded the usb drivers and software on the laptop ready to go

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information