Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Advice for siezed 2002 Sea Doo GTX DI

I have a 2002 Sea Doo GTX DI that will not turn over. I bought it knowing this with the intention of trying to fix it. Any suggestions of what should be checked before pulling the engine to take it apart. Anyone have a checklist or an order of preference of things to check. I am planning on checking easier things first like checking for obstructions in the impeller, etc. I ordered a service manual that should be here in a couple of days. Thanks for the help.

Id pull the pump first and make sure it's not binding. If the pump is frozen up the engine could be ok.

Does the starter engage but just makes a clunk sound? Or does it not even attempt to turn over?

+1
    The pump attaches to the motor with 6 bolts. Just take them out.

+1
    You can also pop the head off and look in at the pistons.

+1
    This is not a good engine to learn off of. The DI's are very temperamental and you are going to go nuts trying to figure out what is going on with it. You need a candoo pro to really get to the bottom of what is going on with it before you put another engine in it and end up frying that one too. You also need a strong understanding of electronics. My advise, part it out or sell it. Start on a carbed 800 engine first. This thing will drive you nuts!

7. +1 by:

+1
    First slide back the driveshaft collar and use a pair of needlenose to pop the clip off the driveshaft. Disconnect the 10mm OPAS connections at the pump and also the cables. Unhook the tubing on top going up into the hull. Using a long extension remove the four 17mm nuts, lockwashers, and washers holding the pump on then just pull the whole assembly back and off. Now grab the driveshaft and pull it out. With sparkplugs removed can you turn the engine over? If not then slide the metal clips down on the RAVE valves (black cups with red dots), and remove the tops, they have springs behind them so keep a hand on them. Now you can remove the 6mm allen head bolts holding those on and slide them out. They might be gummed up and need a little jerk to pull out. Now you can see right down that slot and into the cylinders. What does it look like? I'd bet this machine still has the original fuel filters that will also need replacing, two in the tank and one inline.

+1
    It makes a sound when you push the start button like it is trying to turn over but can't. A lot like my GSX after it was hydro-locked. This ski had been sitting about 4 years according to previous owner. It was basically "free" because it was on the same trailer as the 2005 RXT I bought.

+1
    I will give you $100 for it. Nice profit on a free ski. But I have enjoyed my DI build. Just a lot to watch for.

+1
    I am probably going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow. I am going to have them do a diagnostic on it. Hoping for something short of needing an engine replacement but I'll probably go with an SBT engine if I need to have it replaced. Is you DI running? Have you had experience with them before? I have read that they burn less fuel than a carbureted model. Also have read that if everything is mechanically and electrically sound that they run quite well. Hoping to get at least a couple of years out of it before selling and upgrading to a newer model.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    I will give you $100 for it. Nice profit on a free ski. But I have enjoyed my DI build. Just a lot to watch for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information