+1

01' Virage TX 1200 not reaching top speed

Hi! New here.

We've got an 01' Virage TX carbureted. After it set up for a while (read close to 2 years), we cranked it and it ran like crap... lots of backfiring, bogging down, etc. which can be expected. Sprayed some B-12 into the carburetors and it came back to life. Compression was sitting at 100, 100, 105 before we sprayed the carbs.

When we first crank it to ride, we have to kind of 'pump' the choke. It cranks up and we go. It will run full-power for about 15-30 seconds then would back off to probably 3/4 power. With the throttle fully engaged, it only hits 5000rpm. Towards the end of the day Sunday, it started dying A LOT, which I think had to do with the battery starting to lose power, but I could be wrong. When it does die, sometimes we can crank it right back up and other times we have to pump the choke again.

It does still have the original grey Tempo fuel lines, which we will be replacing. I've also looked into rebuilding the carburetors, but wanted some opinions first.

I feel like this post is all over the place, so I'm just going to stop here. Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I hope you did not hurt the engine by running it hard without rebuilding the carburetors...

A primary cause of engine damage on these Polaris carburetor engines is running them with clogged carburetors or other fuel system problems. These engines really require the fuel system to be 100% good. Otherwise the engine runs lean and can melt a hole right through a piston!

My advice is to remove and rebuild the carburetors with genuine OEM rebuild kits. Replace all the fuel hoses with new. Also new fuel filter and oil filter, both Polaris OEM not aftermarket.

If there is old fuel in the fuel tank you may want to drain the tank and clean it out. Old fuel and perhaps some condensation water inside the tank is not good.

Recheck cylinder compression. Make sure you use fresh spark plugs of the correct type, genuine NGK.

The battery needs to be strong on these engines or you will not have spark while cranking. Once the engine is running and the charging system is charging the battery a weak battery will not cause the engine to stop running.

Get the fuel system sorted out and 100% good before you do any more riding and risk damage to the engine.

See my signature links for more info and parts sources.

+1
    Thank you so much! We have already run almost two tanks of 89 octane with a stout treatment of Star-Tron in each tank.

How hard is a carb rebuild? I've heard horror stories about the carburetors on Polaris jet skis being pretty finicky, true? I took it to a guy to get them rebuilt and he told me I'd never get it on top of the water again due to the compression being screwed and he'd need to rebuild the motor. Yet, he offered me $1300 for it. I, of course, said no.

As for the battery thing... we started out around 12.5 and when it started dying repeatedly we were down to 11.3. Dead cell?

+1
    Running engine with a working charging system will maintain about 14.5 volts to the battery. If the charging system is not actually working then the battery will get run down as you run the engine and go riding.

Sometimes the voltage shown on the built in digital dash can be inaccurate. Check the actual charging voltage with a proper digital multimeter. Should be right around 14.5 volts with engine running and stay close to that voltage as RPM is varied.

Battery voltages below about 13.5 volts are not enough to actually charge the battery.

The carburetors on Polaris watercraft are not particularly difficult or different to service. You just need to use genuine OEM rebuild kits and check a few things as you work through the rebuild.

+1
    Do you happen to have a guide for rebuilding the carburetors and replacing fuel lines? I was quoted close to $550 for getting a shop to do it, but the guy said it sounded like I had all the info I needed to do it, I just needed to get passed worrying I'll mess something up.

When replacing the fuel lines, what all needs to be changed, what parts are needed, etc. I'm a total newb, but really want to learn to do this stuff myself to avoid labor costs and avoid losing time on the water.

I also cannot find a fuel filter... found the oil filter, though. Will any Polaris fuel filter work?

+1
    John Zigler sells the proper carb rebuild kits and anything else you may need. Very supportive fellow and knows his stuff.

You can order online or phone. Since this is getting into busy season, he may not be able to answer calls right away.

There are places that will do the carb rebuilds for you, for a fee. John may provide that service, but if you are interested in really learning how these things work then rebuilding them yourself will provide insight and confidence.

+1
    Alright... I ordered the kits, a new starter solenoid, fuel line, fresh plugs, and a new battery. I checked the compression again just for giggles and it's now sitting at 112, 115, 115 with a weak, but fully-charged (at the time) battery.

I downloaded the the service manual ... which is super helpful, THANK YOU! Any other advice you can give for a newb about to do a fuel system overhaul? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this fixes our speed issue.
    Last edited by K447; 06-06-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Link reference

Thread Information