Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VXR vs XL800

VXR vs XL800

This may be a silly question but im a bit curious. I live in Michigan on the lake/river so chop isnt a huge issue for me as waves are maybe 2-3 ft at most. Im personally looking at getting a VXR and have done some research on it and it seems to be the ski for me. Im asking for how does the VXR handle compared to the xl800 hull. My uncle has the XL and I have rode that quite a few times and that ski handles pretty well for how large it is. I know it has about the same length as the VXR but the XL has the trim feature where the VXR does not.

Anyway I thank everyone for their time and look forward to meeting new people on this forum.

+1
    The VXR does better in the smoother waters for most people. The old XL hulls were decent in the chop. Beyond that, it's hard to say. The FX HO might be a better choice if you are looking for a smoother ride in the rough. I personally like the challenge of riding the VXR hull in the rough and have taken it out for long rides in the open gulf, but I don't think that preference is common.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If you like the 800 you will love the VXr.....EDIT.... you are talking about the newer VXr correct? Yamaha had a 2 stroke VXR back in the day....

Sorry, yes i was talking about a 13-14 VXR. I feel the xl handles pretty well for its size. Being that the XL wasnt meant to be a performance machine I think it does well. Im not looking for what the best ride as I said earlier, its not choppy here. I just want a to have something i can have fun on and maybe tow a tube every once in a while. I know the new VXR will do about 65-68 and the XL i have had to 53 so speed wise the VXR will be plenty fast enough.

+1
    The difference will be the acceleration. The old XL's did 0-50 in about 3 days. The VXR throttle response will be an eye opener

6. +1 by:

I recently upgraded to the '14 VXR from the '01 XL800. The XL800 doesn't excel over the VXR in any category. The VXR hull is excellent, you will not be disappointed. It handles the chop just as well if not slightly better.

Like others have mentioned, by far the biggest difference is the acceleration. I thought the XL800 was a pretty quick machine. Just wait ...

+1
    I haven't ridden a newer VXR but I think my XLT 1200 is a better handling and riding boat than the older VXR's, and the 1200 versions accelerate very well. However, the VXR is going to win the fuel economy and long term reliability contest hands down.

+1
    I had an XL800 and my VX110 outperformed it on acceleration with a light load. Just picked up a VXR...overall it's a much more powerful ski but I think the XL800 definitely felt a little more stable. Also no trim or tilt column. But the VXR is such a blast I can't imagine a more fun way to have fun on the water!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everything you have said. I mean its 14 years newer so I would think it would be a better ski but i know with the trim feature you can have some good fun. I just got the R&D intake grate for the xl800 but broke a bolt today so I gotta get that fixed then Im gonna take it out tomorrow and see how the new grate works.

+1
    The intake grate made a pretty big difference in acceleration on my XL800. For what it's worth I've never missed having the trim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information