Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1999 SLH 700 won't shut off

Hey All. I got the top end rebuilt on my 1999 Slh 700 last week. Also replaced all fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. Once I got it fired up it ran great. I am only running it on a stand so I didn't want to let it run too long so I pulled the teather cord and it didn't stop. I then pushed the stop button and still nothing so I pulled the plug wires off to stop it.
    I then checked throughout the site to find out how to test the kill switch. Tested it and it checks out good. Researched some more and sounds like it could be the CDI is shot.
    I have 2 of these Skis and the other one has the upgrade kit but this one doesn't.
    I am having a tough time justifying spending $600 for an upgrade kit for it.
    Am I on the right track with this?
    Thanks
    Brad

+1
    Have you checked all the connections in the electrical box? your switch could have come off a ground terminal. in the electrical box, before spending big bucks, crack it open and take a look. inspect the wires as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Have you checked all the connections in the electrical box? your switch could have come off a ground terminal. in the electrical box, before spending big bucks, crack it open and take a look. inspect the wires as well.
    +1

Look inside the electrical box. Disconnect battery first, of course.

First look for signs of water or corrosion. It should look like new inside, zero water, zero corrosion. The factory applied a thin layer of clear electrical grease to the terminal board so it is normal for things to seem goopy.

The CDI ignition kill signal is a Black/Yellow wire going into the CDI module. Unplug the Black/Yellow wire that comes out of the CDI and move only that wire to one of the Black terminals. Try to start the engine. If the engine starts when the Black/Yellow wire from the CDI is connected directly to ground then the CDI has a problem.

You may be able to shut the engine down by applying full choke and full throttle, without needing to pull the spark plug wires. Always wear heavy gloves if you need to pull the ignition wires when the engine is running. There is a lot of 'ouch' voltage at the spark plugs.

I am happy to report that I took the ski out for a ride today and it ran fine except it wouldn't shut off. I fully expected it to have some other ignition issues. It would not start unless the tether was under the stop button but the button would not work. I will now check for any loose connections in the electrical box. There is no water in the box but there is some corrosion. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLH 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	331549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLH 2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	331550

+1
    Did you try this test?
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

The CDI ignition kill signal is a Black/Yellow wire going into the CDI module. Unplug the Black/Yellow wire that comes out of the CDI and move only that wire to one of the Black terminals. Try to start the engine. If the engine starts when the Black/Yellow wire from the CDI is connected directly to ground then the CDI has a problem...
    In the photo I only see one Black/Yellow wire connected to a Black/Yellow terminal. There should be more than one of these wires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slh3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	331561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slh4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	331562Good call K447. The wire was missing. I replaced it and put it where it should be and it starts when it is grounded. Is there any other way to get the ski to shut off without choking it as this seems to be all that is the problem?
    Thanks
    Last edited by bad brad 22; 06-06-2014 at 09:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bad brad 22 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slh4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	331562

... The wire was missing. I replaced it and put it where it should be and it starts when it is grounded.
    Not sure what you are saying here.

Do I see a splice in the Black/Yellow wire near where it goes into the CDI. Did you install that splice?

Did you move that Black/Yellow wire coming from the CDI and plug it onto the Black terminal section?
    And the engine still started?

Yes. In the first pic you can see the wire there with the end stripped. That is the way it was. ( guess I never looked it over too closely) I spliced a new wire in and connected it to where it goes. Still wouldn't stop. Tested the switch and it checks out OK. Installed it on the Black terminal section and it still started.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bad brad 22 View Post
    Yes. In the first pic you can see the wire there with the end stripped. That is the way it was. ( guess I never looked it over too closely) I spliced a new wire in and connected it to where it goes. Still wouldn't stop. Tested the switch and it checks out OK. Installed it on the Black terminal section and it still started.
    Sounds like the previous owner or repair tech was also chasing the no engine stop problem and cut the Black/Yellow wire near the CDI for some reason.

That CDI appears to no longer obey the engine kill signal on Black/Yellow wire. The normal method is to simply replace the CDI module with a new/good CDI module.

It may be possible to rig up a relay to cut power to the CDI when the lanyard is pulled out. Not sure I want to recommend such a non-standard fix

Do I have to match up the #4060148 or are there other CDIs that will work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information