Low hour rxp/rxt for sale ...... Easy seadoo scam?

So I've been looking for a used RXP the past few weeks and one of my selection criteria (which I thought was sane)
    was usage hours right? Well maybe not.
    I saw two RXPs in the past week...an 04 and an 05....went to look cuz both claimed under 35 hours.....still $5500+ though.
    Although the hours meters on both skis read under 35, the hulls looked like closer to 300+.....scratches, gouges, sun fading, etc....obviously a mystery.

While the seller today (mofo! I drove 1.5 hours to see) was in the house I saw an PayPal Ebay receipt on his garage bench....the listing read..."LOW HOUR ECU FOR SEADOO RXP".....he paid $250....
    ..so I left.....he kept saying....its a great deal....very low hours.....bla bla bla.

So is that all you have to do? Take a high hours ski, put in a low hours ECU, program a key and VIOLA!....low hours ski? for less than $300?

If that's true it's really buyer beware as you really can't rely on the hours meter.

+1
    Hours are stored not only in the ECU but in the gauge cluster too. If you change the ECU with low hours you will still see the cluster hours no mater how much hours in the ECU

? The question is what is controlling the memory (hours) in the cluster..? Its not ROM, and its write more than once.....so?

It looks like someone has figured out how to hit the reset button......cuz low hour doos are popping up all over craigslist
    .....but they don't really look like they've been stored for 7-10 years.

Today I saw a 2007 with 19 hours and another new listing with 33. I've never seen so many low hour skis.

+1
    Well it os may be possible but for sure it is not easy and not everybody can do it. Seen it done to cars but the profit there is lot more than on ski. If it is done by human the human can brake it

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    If you change the ECU with low hours you will still see the cluster hours no mater how much hours in the ECU
    This is not true on the 04-05's. The cluster will show the hours on the ecu.

+1
    Didn't know that for early years

+1
    even if the hours ar true,but the ski looks like a mess you can tell a lot about its maintenance...avoid it..

Thread Information