Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

No spark 91 WR500Q

I am having no spark with this ski, first is was a random no spark that i thought was a carb problem.

When i first got the ski (Free btw) at the end of last year i rebuilt the carb and let it sit til the start of this year and It would fire up every time after i had to spend $90 for a new battery of course, Well it started having a problem where it would die and not fire back up or where it wouldn't fire at all but if i let it sit then it would fire up, I took it on a trip to Florida two weeks ago and i took it out on a lake and it ran fine for about a hour and i loaded it up, went to take it out the next day and it fired up went 10 feet and shut off, started right back up made it 40ft out to a turn around point and it shut off and wouldn't start back. well after that it would start like 1 out of 5 tries and i thought it might of been water in the fuel so i got it back home to Georgia and i drained the tank and left it to dry out and i rebuilt the carb. Got it all back together and it fired up and i shut it off and went to fire it again and it wouldn't start, and hasn't started in 2 days, And by the looks of it the thing isn't firing, its getting fuel as the plugs get wet but no joy

Where would i start checking with my Meter? By checking the connector for the Kill switches they work as they should btw it has a after market lanyard installed It spins over strong 135psi in both cylinders new plugs, like i said when it is running it ran great just wouldn't idle lol had the idle set to low.

This is it running that day i was only running about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and it was doing good on the choppy water.

+1
    Just sold our 500. Never had this issue. I did rebuild the carb a few yrs back but never had any other issues. Make sure u adjust the high & low screws on the carb correctly. With the screws turned all the way CW, turn CCW 3 turns on both. This is a good starting point. As for the spark, the plugs will foul very easy if the fuel mixture is incorrect, or if u let idle too long. Check to be sure u are actually not getting a spark with fresh plugs. If not, check the pluf wires. If one is not getting spark, then switch the wire to the other plug to see if its the wire. If so replace the wires. If not then trace the wires back to the coil. Not sure what type of coil it will have, but if u go to RIVA's site & look in the OEM section for yr craft, u should see the parts breakdown, and from there tracethe plug wires to tte source of ignition. Then order the part. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post
    Just sold our 500. Never had this issue. I did rebuild the carb a few yrs back but never had any other issues. Make sure u adjust the high & low screws on the carb correctly. With the screws turned all the way CW, turn CCW 3 turns on both. This is a good starting point. As for the spark, the plugs will foul very easy if the fuel mixture is incorrect, or if u let idle too long. Check to be sure u are actually not getting a spark with fresh plugs. If not, check the pluf wires. If one is not getting spark, then switch the wire to the other plug to see if its the wire. If so replace the wires. If not then trace the wires back to the coil. Not sure what type of coil it will have, but if u go to RIVA's site & look in the OEM section for yr craft, u should see the parts breakdown, and from there tracethe plug wires to tte source of ignition. Then order the part. Good luck.
    Well it still hasn't started so pulled the box apart with the coil, CDI, etc and all connections are good and clean, I checked with my Meter on the coil and i got a good reading on the input side of the coil but on the plug wires i got nothing when i hooked up onto both plug wires, When i inserted the meter leads into both plug wire boots i got no reading on the meter, The meter didn't jump or anything.

+1
    I'm not familiar with the coil, but it seems you've found the culprit. See if u can locate a stock coil on the Riva site. If not u will hv to get more creative with locating an older used one.

+1
    But as a dealer would say a Coil almost never goes bad lol. Am i correct in how to check the dual wire coil? As in connect each lead of my MMeter into the ground and signal for the coil then move onto the plug wire end put a lead into each plug wire at the same time and check Ohms, and then one lead into one plug wire and one into the other side of the coil? I just hope not the CDI box i don't think it would be anything else tho if the CDI is sending a signal voltage to the coil, BTW How many volts should the CDI be sending to the coil? I keep reading conflicking things on that part. I seen people say 1 or 2 volts and 12V and 100V+

+1
    Would this be the Coil i need to order? http://www.amazon.com/1990-1992-Yama...averunner+Coil

+1
    Is yrs a 500cc or 650cc?

+1
    Mine is the 500 but i read somewhere that the coil is interchangable between the two, but i went ahead and ordered one for a 500 off fleabay.

+1
    Well unless the new coil is bad something else is wrong still no fire...

+1
    Sorry to hear that. I'm not a ski expert but hv turned wrenches on plenty of fast cars. I've already sold my 500 so I don't even hv one to go look at to help. Basically u need fuel, spark & air to make power. Obviously u hv air. If yr sure u hv fuel then the only thing missing is the spark. You'll just hv to trace it down the line to see what the culprit is. Go back & make sure yr choke butterfly isn't closed blocking air. Then make sure u are getting fuel. Spray starter fluid in the carb with the air cover removed to insure its not a fuel problem. U can also buy a spark tester at yr local parts store. It looks like a spark plug, and if u are getting spark u should see the ark. Once u are 100% sure its definitely a spark issue, go back and look at all parts between the spark plugs & the battery. There can't be that many parts there that could cause that could cause this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information