Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advice on purchase: 1999 Polaris SLTX 1050 vs 2001 Polaris Virage 1200

Thinking about purchasing my first PWC.....I've rode several PWCs, just never owned any myself. My buddy just got a 1997 Wave Venture triple carb 1100 that does 58+ mph. I just want to be able to keep up with him and have fun on the lake. Our lake is relatively smooth water with a few chops due to wakeboarding boats. I want to be able to get a few jumps in, but still be able to hit near 60 mph when the lake is like glass. PWC will see fresh water only.

Help me decide on a 3seater:

1999 Polaris SLTX 1050 w/trailer - $1700 OBO
    -owner states in ad: "all pistons have been rebuilt and cylinders and runs great"
    -good shape inside and out, no fading
    -stored under cover or in garage

2001 Polaris Virage 1200 w/trailer - $2000 OBO
    -owner states it "runs good"
    -display not working
    -tear in front of seat

My wants/needs for my PWC: 60mph or so, ability to jump small wake waves, nimble enough to throw into some curves for some fun.

Thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unless the speeds reported by your friend are being recorded using a decent portable GPS unit, it is quite possible that his dash display is showing 'faster than actual' speeds.

The 1999 and 2001 lower hulls are very similar, the upper deck is different of course. All things being equal (which they never are) the 1200 Virage should provide a higher top speed and stronger acceleration. That said, the 1050 is a nice engine and spins up with enthusiasm. The 1200 vibrates more. Not terrible, just not as smooth as the 1050.

I like the Virage styling and the storage front and rear. Lots of storage space, clean styling, rides low to the water which I like. My own 2002 Virage TXi can be seen in my signature photo.

I prefer reverse lever on the left side, such as the Virage has. Actually, 2001 Virage may have electric reverse, called PERC. Electric reverse is not my preference, but it works well enough. Make sure the electric reverse is actually working properly. With engine off, hold down the Bilge button to also power up the reverse system. I rarely need or use reverse when riding or even docking.

Good used replacement MFI display are generally available from parted out Virage and Genesis models.

+1
    If you have a choice go with the Virage. The Sltx will do 55-56 & the Virage will do 58-59, real speeds not speedometer readings. The Virage also has a more comfortable seat & is much quieter because of the extra resonators after the muffler. The Virage is also much quicker on acceleration too.

+1
    Also, the Virage 1200 will have the updated Gen3 ignition electronics... whereas the 1050 will not... right?

I'd lean towards the Virage... as long as it's not direct injection!

Cheers!

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Virage for sure. I prefer the fuel injected ones so you dont have to mess with the carbs and the crappy gas we have these days.
    Parts are plentiful for these also.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Does anyone know the weights of each ski? What about the factory horsepower ratings for each ski?

Thanks again! I'm leaning Virage......he said he has another Virage available too. Double trailer with two 2001 Virage 1200's for $3500 OBO....still contemplating.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Pretty sure the 1200 Virage is 135hp. Not sure on the weight.

Dug up some info based on factory specs for the two boats....pretty interesting:

1999 SLTX: 620lbs and 120hp = 0.194hp/lb
    2001 Virage TX: 620lbs and 135hp = 0.218hp/lb

Clear advantage for the Virage....I was expecting the SLTX to weigh a little less than the Virage.

The only thing to be careful of would be if the Virage is a direct injection model. Personally i love the Polaris DI's compared to Seadoo, but they can be quite pricey to fix if the Fitch system is not working. Having said that, the Virage would be the clear winner in top speed and storage, loved my boat and was a lot of fun while i had it. Now if it is the TX model, i do believe it has carbs right guys? Having said all that, my first boat was a 1996 sltx, had a blown motor, and was my first real project. the 1050 motor was easy to work on and started my interest in PWC. SO it comes down to what you want, the 1200 motor has a bunch of power, i used to tow a tube behind my Virage and even my Genisis with ease. But the 1050 is a close second. Hope this helped

Banned User
    +1
    I wouldn't classify the Ficht motors as being any more expensive to maintain and repair. EMM repair is cheaper than an ignition kit for a carb motor and there are no carb rebuilds to worry about.

You spend it either way
    Last edited by K447; 06-06-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information