Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need help with primer kit

so just got to installing my motor built buy island racing. he also did the carbs and set them up for the primer kit. so all i had to do was put the t in and run the plunger. i put the t into the return line in between the carbs and the gas tank. is this the right location? i tried pumping the plunger and im getting nothing running threw the lines

+1
    Some guys say that the return line works well, but that was not my experience. I like to put a full line size tee in the reserve line, and a check valve (think oil line injector check valve) in the line from the plunger to the carbs. That way you have no restriction in the fuel flow to the carbs when on reserve, and no sucking of air into the line if there is a leak on the plunger.
    PS: Plungers also do not seem to be the most reliable thing built, I have replaced a few that quit, or one that only works when the temps are below 80.

+1
    I put mine on the fuel line in right before the carbs. It will prime the fuel all the way up to the carbs then go into the primer. I can pump it a couple times and fire the ski up and go. Before I had it tee off on the res line and would pump a few times and the ski would start then die. Then pump again and it would stay running.

i have it teed on the return line but closer to the tank then the carbs. is this the correct way to do it? i pumped the plunger and dont see any fuel running threw it. its a new motor so im scared to try and start it for the first time with no gas and oil cranking threw(pre mix)

putting it to the reserve now. just one question. does it go in between the tank and the carb res line or in between the tank and the on/off/reserve knob??

update! put it in between the on/off/reserve and it starts now it only runs for a second then stalls out. what do you think the problem is? its now on the reserve line

tried starting it again. pump the primer a few times. start it runs for a second then dies. gave it gas and it back popped a little. what do you think the problem is??

+1
    How much trouble do you guys really have starting your skis? I don't have a primer, mine can sit all winter and all I do is choke it and hold the throttle wide open and crank it and it starts right up. Never had to do it for more then 3-4 seconds at the most. I thought about getting one but I always talk my self out of it, I never have trouble starting my ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    How much trouble do you guys really have starting your skis? I don't have a primer, mine can sit all winter and all I do is choke it and hold the throttle wide open and crank it and it starts right up. Never had to do it for more then 3-4 seconds at the most. I thought about getting one but I always talk my self out of it, I never have trouble starting my ski.
    before the motor blew it would take me 20 mins to start it up if i didnt start it once a day... anyone know what the problem im having is or sounds like? i really want to get this thing started to use it!

+1
    I have had a couple of skis which start super easy, and a couple that have been hard to start since new. One of those has had carbs rejetted, and also a primer added and it still is hard to start when cold and been off a few days. Holds fuel tank pressure too. Don't know why its difficult, just the way it its.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information