Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

What PWC Safety Gear should i get?

What all gear should i buy? What brands are good to buy? I dont want to buy cheap junk only to replace in a few months. I would like to buy nice-high quality. It will be myself and my wife on the ski. I will get into some kind of water sport (hopfully a board style sport).

What gear do you actually use? Or what gear did you buy and end up not using?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There have been some informative threads previously posted with lots of good info.

Not sure what search terms would easily bring up those threads

What kind of water you ride and how far away from help you will travel are factors.

Personally we tend to travel quite far from land and often in deep water so we carry a lot of gear.

Cooper anchor with Anchor buddy stretch rope plus normal anchor rope.

Multiple dock lines. I prefer the 3/8" dock lines as they are easier on the hands and I can use the longer ones for emergency towing. Each watercraft has one or two 25' dock lines plus several shorter ones.

I use Wichard brand SS snap hooks on most lines for quick and secure connections and strong enough for towing.*

There is lots of good info on equipment and ride preparation in the High Performance Watercraft Safety forum.

I also carry a portable marine VHF radio. Not yet happy with the best place to mount it on my ski. The model I chose incorporates a GPS and DSC, so I can report my exact position, if the need arises.

Mobile phone in waterproof case, with the Coast Guard and local Marine Police/Rescue numbers saved.

Portable or mounted marine GPS with proper marine charts.

Spare lanyard of course.

That spare lanyard would be in addition to the lanyard on the passenger PFD and the lanyard on your PFD. If you fall off or are disabled the passenger can slide forward and immediately take control of the machine. In an emergency you want the passenger to already have a lanyard at hand, not rummaging around in the storage bin for the spare.

First Aid kit.
    Waterproof Magnetic compass attached to PFD.

Powerful LED flashlight attached to PFD. I currently use Fenix brand lights, always use Lithium batteries for maximum run time and light weight. Either AA or CR123 battery type flashlights.

Tool kit for emergency repairs. Stainless steel tools preferred, plus nylon zip ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, etc.

Folding tree pruning saw to remove ropes and debris from the jet pump. Really long pliers and a long metal rod with hook to extract junk from the jet pump.

And a lot more stuff...

In addition to being prepared a major safety upgrade is the buddy system. Ride with one or more other watercraft. That way if you need a tow or other assistance there is always help nearby.

* Wichard Snap Hooks - per the W and France casting marks on one side.
    Stainless Steel, Wichard part number 2481 3" (75mm)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	331467  
    Last edited by K447; 05-20-2017 at 04:09 PM.

+1
    What is a good brand of

1. life jacket
    2. water shoes

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemounlio View Post
    What is a good brand of

1. life jacket
    2. water shoes
    1) slippery, jet pilot, ronix, oneill, academy brand, overtons brand, ect..
    i personally love slippery but currently use a ronix (wakeboard vest that is USCG approved) but lots of ppl on here like jet pilot.

2) this one may best be left for the search engine. some go barefoot, some use the 5 toed shoes, some use asics (sp?) wrestling shoes, others use tennis shoes..

+1
    I never thought of using wrestling shoes! I just looked on Amazon and there are some at really good prices. Alas, we already have Vibrams.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    insurance.

personal locator beacons can be a lifesaver. they transmit your exact location by satellite to a recovery center and from there to authorities etc based on your float/fly/hunt plan. you can choose a manual deploy mode so getting submerged for a moment won't declare.

couple of hundred bucks

+1
    How do you guys like O-Brien Neo Vests? I went to a local store to start pricing all the saftey gear needed and really liked the O-Brien vest. I have not seen the other brands listed above yet. I am planning a trip to a larger PWC dealer soon. I really hope to try on several brands befor i pull the trigger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I never thought of using wrestling shoes! I just looked on Amazon and there are some at really good prices. Alas, we already have Vibrams.
    ive never used them but had friends that did and they liked it for the ankle support and said it had good traction when wet.

+1
    Overton's has a tremendous variety. And don't forget Amazon.

+1
    one thing i think about is how my lanyard will attached to me. with having a seadoo i like slippery for the D-clip it has. currently i use a wrist strap like the kawasakis and yamaha skis have. it works but i dont care for the tan line LOL.

i did buy from jet tribe a velcro D-ring to use with my ronix vest for now. again this is just my personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information