Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra LX vs. STX 15

Hey Everyone,
    So I am currently looking to buy a ski. I found these 2 skis for sale and wanted to hear your guys' input on the pros and cons of both. They both look solid and I think I would be stoked with either one, but its always nice to have a second opinion.
    So I would be using the skis for fun of course in rivers and such. But predominately I would be using it for bodyboarding. I would be using it to tow me and my friends into waves and tow at waves.

The Ultra LX is a 2012 and he is selling it for 8,000 without trailer. He says less than 20 hours on it.

The STX 15 is a 2009 and he is selling it for about 7,000 with trailer. It has under 10 hours he claims.

Any input on this would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Ryan

+1
    If you're going to ride rivers and smooth waters the 15F will be faster and probably more fun. The ultra LX NA is a great rough water ski. it is a luxury cruiser through and through. comfortable ride in the rough, has more features than the 15F, great range, but is nearly 10 mph slower than the 15F.

+1
    +1 for calm waters go with the 15f

+1
    I've had both skis.

2004 15F: fast, nimble and fun... on flat water and on the ocean.

2007 Ultra LX: a bit of a dog. Too much weight for the motor. I didn't like it at all.

BTW - prices on both skis are a bit high. Shop around. You can do much better. You can get new skis for not much more than those prices.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I have had both skis and like them both. While the LX is slower, mid 50s, I love that ski. The comfort of the ultra and a huge amount of fuel and dry storage. I use it for fishing when no need to take the boat out.

Thanks everyone for the responses! You mentioned the prices being a bit high.. I have been looking around on craigslist for over a month. It seems pretty tough to find a decent ski for a good price and low hours. Am I blowing it and just not searching in the right places do you think? Also was going to try to get a certified pre owned one but most of the dealerships around here don't have any skis even available. My friends dad, said he could get me a new yamaha vxr for 13.5k which I don't have that kind of dough. haha

+1
    Fwiw Kawasaki currently has $1500 rebates on their new previous year model skis. You can get either of the skis you are looking at pretty cheap and brand new. Prices not far off from the used prices and have warranty.

+1
    Don't get hung up on low hours. These motors can last for several hundred hours. I'd rather get a ski that's been used than one that's been sitting. A 5-year-old ski with 10 hours spent most of it's life sitting. That could be much worse for the motor than being used regularly.

There's a brand new 2013 15F on ebay for $7899. Add $600 for a trailer and your price for brand new is only $1500 more than the 2009.

There's also an overpriced used 2004 15F on ebay for $4500. That's a good running ski... I should know, since it's the 15F that I used to own! I originally paid $3K... in 2008.

I wouldn't pay any more than $5K for that 09.

You're looking at the worst possible time. If you can wait until mid-summer, you'll get a much better deal.

+1
    +1 on a new 2013 leftover. I got my buddy a deal a few weeks ago on a 15F for $7600 without warranty or trailer. Kawasakis seem to have the best leftover deals, and I'll always buy one like this. Also, go with the 15F. That hull is a lot of fun and with what your doing I think you will enjoy it more. Good luck.

Very good point about the motors sitting around.. Didn't think of it that way. Yeah I realized its a bad time right now but I'm so anxious to get one! haha ill scope out some of the dealerships and see if they have any leftover 2013's because 7600 isn't bad at all. Thanks guys for the responses! Helps out a ton!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information