Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

how to test oil injection

Hey guys I just bought a 96SLT780 with a blown motor. The parts are in route so it is just about finnished (one way or anouther ) . I want to keep my oil injection since the wife will be using this ski without my help. Is there a way to test my oil injection pump so I have to rebuild this thing again. P.S. what do you guys think of this ski? I only paid $100 for it.

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

I'd replace the oil pump and all lines to be on the safe side as the pumps do fail on occasion.
    What took the engine out? Have any photo's of the damage? We'll take a guess for you.

Not sure but if I was a betting man I would say a blown head or base gasket. I am going to get pics now. It is some bad MOJO though . What do you think about the purchase price? This thing is a total behind the barn special

Here are the pics. You can see the nice chunk taken out of that piston. I am replacing that cylinder and head. The other two were ok-dokay and just needed deglazed. I found a little water in the bottom of the crank (no rust) so I am leaning towards the fack that water doesn't compress!!! I also included a polaris of a differant sort for you guys. (my first love is big air)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0943.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	20163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0944.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	20164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0945.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	20165  

+1
    Looks like classic hydrolock with piston ring pieces embedded in the piston tops. You'll have to pull that crank. Being that the crank isn't pinned, I'm sure it twisted. If by some miracle it didn't, I would imagine the rod will probably have some "indents" or "flatspots" when you get that wristpin pulled out of there from slamming that hard. If there are any, it will spell trouble down the road. Check it out and let us know.

+1
    I'd be looking for rust traces as well and if there are none I'd be concerned that it was hydro-locked with fuel and there's a needle and seat that needs work or maybe the fuel shut off valve (if equiped) is junk.

Just some food for thought.

Talking

OK got my parts, going to pull engine aparts tommorow, any advise on what to look for. If the crank is bad, suggestions on where to buy rebuild? I did go ahead and get a oil pump block off, is there any reason to keep tank in machine? What about MFD & oil level/limp mode? Sorry for all the questions but I am a PWC virgin. I also read in a differant thread that I can wire in a 35 ohm resistor to fool the MFD? Thats so much for your help, I bought this thing thinking simple rebuild. WRONG!! oh well now I am hooked and I havent even started the damn thing.

Also I think I need a triple outlet fuel pump? I read that without it you can get the aft cylinder running lean. Any idears where I can find one and roughly what can I expect to pay? I think my new family toy may get me divorced.

+1
    96 SLT780 has the new high volume pump but maybe rebuilding it isn't a bad idea, it's basically a pump diaghram.

Before anything though, I'd toss it together and check crank index, if it's bad you'll be needing a crank or it'll never run right or have any power.

Crank Index? Can you tell me how to do this? Also I bought a new cylinder and head for this machine. Anybody want the old one? The cylinder is not in bad shape it can be bored over. I just didn't want to bore all three it was cheaper to buy a new one than to bore all three. If ya want it you can have it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information