Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil type for 2000 Virage TX

I've been reading different opinions all over the place on what 2-stroke oil to use. I can't seem to find a good answer on what I should use for my 2000 Polaris Virage TX. The dealership sold me the Kawasaki brand for about $30 for the gallon. It seems to be ok, but wanted to see what others have used and experiences. The manual says to use the Polaris Premium or Premium Gold. Is it better to with that at $40 per gallon or does it make that big of a difference with the $20 Pennzoil Synthetic blend they sell at Walmart?

Also, anyone notice any difference when using anything other than 87 octane fuel?

+1
    I run Mystic Sea & Snow in my skis (including the 1200 in my Rio) which is a semi-syn I believe and about $25 gal. I also like Cabela's semi-syn 2 stroke oil... which is also around $22 gal. My skis are all oil injected (not premix) and used for recreation (not racing).

I'd imagine the more expensive oils are even better.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Minimum fuel octane is somewhat debatable. The official Polaris manuals say that minimum octane is 89 if the gasoline has oxidizers, which I take as including ethanol blended gasolines. That said many guys run 87 octane with ethanol.

Fuel chemistry also varies somewhat by region so 87 in one place is not exactly the same stuff as 87 in other areas.

I tend to stay away from ethanol blended fuel and in my region non-ethanol is only available in premium grade, so I mostly buy 91 octane.

Oil is an endless discussion. Personally, I have moved away from Amsoil synthetic and now use Legend ZX-2R oil in my 2-stroke watercraft.

Thanks for the info. I was debating trying going to 89 or 91 anyway. As far as the oil goes, I'm thinking I'll try the polaris premium and see how that goes. It may cost a bit more, but I want to be safe. Should I let the oil that is currently in there drain down before I change it to something new? I read you should try to get it under a 1/4 tank before mixing it with a new one.

Banned User
    +1
    The Legend oil is reasonably priced and is absolutely the best stuff I have ever used.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    With a few specific exceptions, generally the various 2-stroke oils are compatible with each other.

I generally do run the old oil level down fairly low before switching to a new oil brand but I cannot point to a specific reason for doing so.

Where can you buy the legend oil? Or is it just from their website?

Banned User
    +1
    Look at their dealer list and if you are near one of the dealers contact them. Otherwise order it through the website. I buy 2 cases at a time.

Thanks. I'll check it out. It's nice to get this info from people rather than having to figure out with trial and error.

I have used the Penzoil Full Synthetic from Walmart for years & have been very happy. The full synthetics seem to create a lot less smoke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information