Angry 2001 XL 800 - Won't turn over

Bought this POS last year. Yamaha dealer (after I bought it (lesson learned)) said it had a major engine knock and that I shouldn't trust it not to strand me.

Tore it down and discovered the head cover looked like a pizza face teenager it had so many pits in it and one of the pistons and cylinders was pretty bad messed up. Replaced both cylinders, both pistons, rings, power valves, spark plugs and did a rebuild kit to the jet pump. Removed all of the old fuel and added new. I did NOT rebuild the carbs.

Started in the driveway fine so took it out and it started, died and couldn't get it restarted because the damn battery had set up for too long. Brought it back home, stuck a tender on it for like 24 hours till I got the green light. Went and added more fuel (pre-mix) and some sea foam. Brought it back home, stuck it on the hose and started it. Started but couldn't get it to just idle. tried several times. Now, I try and start it and I hear a click but it doesn't turn over at all. Battery is fully charged.

Would this possibly be the starter or would something else come to mind? It does have pronounced click when I hit start but just nothing else.

For the idling problem, what needs to be done? Carb rebuild?? I have so much into this thing now that I'll never get my money back out of it so I might as well try and fix it. It's either that or take my loss, fill all cavities with gas and launch this damn thing out to sea for a Viking funeral....

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

most likely the pit marks in cylinder head were from detonation
    most likely a result of lean fuel mixture.
    The first thing I would have done is go thru the carbs
    take them completely apart(one at a time so you have a working blueprint to refer too)
    clean and blow all passages out

Quote Originally Posted by 96Waveventure700 View Post
    most likely the pit marks in cylinder head were from detonation
    most likely a result of lean fuel mixture.
    The first thing I would have done is go thru the carbs
    take them completely apart(one at a time so you have a working blueprint to refer too)
    clean and blow all passages out

Thanks!

What do you think about the not turning over at all part? Think that might be the starter?

Ok, I did some more Googling (I guess that's a word) and found something that talked about an engine being Hydrolocked. Since I did have a hose on it the last time I was starting it and it kept dying, I figured I'd check that possibility out. Pulled both plugs out, tried to crank it half expecting ti to spit water 10 feet into the air...but...nothing. Just "click", "click". How would I go about checking to see if it's the starter without first buying a new starter? I hate to spend that money if that's not what's wrong..

At least you did some r&r and ruled out hydro-lock. I'm defiantly no pro, but I'll tell you how I would at least do my troubleshooting if I was in your situation.

1) Double check the intake grate and pump to make sure there isn't anything lodged anywhere.

2) pull the plugs again and use a flashlight to see which piston is in the up position. Borrow a wooden spoon for the 'old lady' and use the handle to push on the top of that piston through the spark plug hole.

3) Pray that it goes down and that your engine isn't seized. If it does, hurray , now pull the carbs and get them rebuilt and secure those oil lines with something better then zip ties if your still doing oil injection. You really should also do a pressure test on the engine while the carbs are off, if you didn't during your top end rebuild.

4) If it's old, take your battery to an auto parts store and get it tested just in case.

5) Check your wiring, and after all that look at what you need to do to replace your starter.

I've got a 1200, but I think most of this should still apply for the 800. good luck

Thanks! I'll grab a wooden spoon right now!

Not doing oil injection. Mixing fuel/oil mix 32:1

you can jump the solenoid to see if its that too
    be careful it will spark alot.

Thread Information