Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

First day out on brand new ultra lx questions

So I bought a brand new 2013 ultra lx with 0 hours about two weeks ago today was the first day I was able to get it out had a good time but I have a few questions. First one is how much exhaust smoke do these usually throw out? I was a little surprised at the amount of white smoke coming out of the pipe out of the rear of the ski. Also I noticed what sounded like a rattling sound and a little vibration coming from the rear of the ski at idle speed near the impeller I looked in after the ride didn't notice anything strange performance seemed unaffected so maybe this is normal? This is my first ski we do own 2 boats so plenty of water experience but I will admit this was a new learning curb especially where I ride lots of yatchs cruising at wot with 4-5ft wake behind them that was a quick learning experience after I passed the first one today I slowed done drastically like in a boat and learned quick I should have just hit it at speed. Overall this ski is faster than it was made out to be easy to do good speed even in chop was a little shocked with how unstable it was 3 up my wife daughter and I maybe total 350lbs and it was a little shaky with the three of us on it def more fun with just one person.

+1
    Are you sure it was white smoke and not steam?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    It may have been steam if the pipe was hot I def noticed it more at slow speeds or idle is this common? Once again first ski I have owned and its been years since I rode skis with any kind of frequency.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
    It may have been steam if the pipe was hot I def noticed it more at slow speeds or idle is this common? Once again first ski I have owned and its been years since I rode skis with any kind of frequency.
    It is probably steam then. If you can, Start it briefly while out of the water and see if it still does it.

+1
    Dh300 I thought about it after you said it and you are correct there was no where near the amount of smoke when I flushed the engine after the ride so probably steam. I also was curious about the gas gauge there where no bats at all when I filled up this morning I filled until the gauge read full but that was only 14.5 gallons and I think this thing holds 20 gallons is there another 5 gallons to add after reading full also at a standard gas pump will the shut off stop once full or will it spit out like when filling one of the boats

G'day,

Take the seats off and fill the tank to just below where the fuel pump attaches, yep sometimes they spit it out. It's all in the manual.

Steam is normal, was the rattle while in the water or on the hose. They do rattle when out of the water with no load on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla73 View Post
    G'day,

Take the seats off and fill the tank to just below where the fuel pump attaches, yep sometimes they spit it out. It's all in the manual.

Steam is normal, was the rattle while in the water or on the hose. They do rattle when out of the water with no load on them.

Thats what I did on the first fill up I watched till the tank looked full as well but it looked but I only got 14.5 gallons in and it was dead empty wasn't sure if a few more gallons fit in the the fill line. The rattle and vibration came at idle speed in the water I didn't notice it at first noticed it after about an hour also when I noticed it was when I put 3 people on for the first time

+1
    Dh300 I thought about it after you said it and you are correct there was no where near the amount of smoke when I flushed the engine after the ride so probably steam. I also was curious about the gas gauge there where no bats at all when I filled up this morning I filled until the gauge read full but that was only 14.5 gallons and I think this thing holds 20 gallons is there another 5 gallons to add after reading full also at a standard gas pump will the shut off stop once full or will it spit out like when filling one of the boats
    The first fuel bar is about 6-7 gallons so the bars will read full bars when it's not actually full. If the bars are the same as the 300x, the first one is 6-7 gal., the last is 7 gal, and the rest are 6-7 all together.

+1
    The first fuel bar is about 6-7 gallons so the bars will read full bars when it's not actually full. If the bars are the same as the 300x, the first one is 6-7 gal., the last is 7 gal, and the rest are 6-7 all together.
    DH300 when filling it up how do you approach it do you fill it buy watching the tank or is there a better way? Also I saw in the manual it said the fuel light would come on with 7 gallons left which is one bar I find that a little strange that it would start beeping at me with 7 gallons heck thats half a tank for most skis.

+1
    Everything you are experiencing is normal for the ultra. Usually the first 1/3 of the tank the gauge doesn't move. The next 1/3 is where it will go down the gauge and the last 1/3 is after the beeper starts so you have plenty to get back to safety.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information