+1

Anyone have a GTX DI that runs well?

I have a 2002 GTX DI that is not running at this time. I bought it knowing that the previous owner consider the engine to be seized. I have not determined yet if that is the case. What I would like to know is if there are a good number of people who own this type of ski or engine and if they are happy with it. Or if I have to replace the engine should I consider trying to swap it for a carbureted version? Has anyone put the 787 engine in the GTX hull? The 787 seems to be cheap compared to a 4-tech or 951 replacement engine.

+1
    Ok, well I just finished the rebuild on my 2003 GTX DI. It had a seized piston that resulted in the mag breaking lands. I bought the pwc from an electrical engineer who pulled the engine and when he saw the piston, he gave up. He did label all connections and put all the bolts back in the holes. It was a fresh water ski and he was the original and only owner. Gave him $600 for it. I went through the motor and found a damaged piston, scored cylinder, and damaged rave valve.

A guy from here sold me a set of cylinders bored 1mm over and even threw in a piston and gaskets for $50 (My Hero). I bought another new piston, rings, and wrist pins.

The build was easy enough, but I am a manufacturing engineer, and my dad is a Maintenance manager. We have built hundreds of engines together. This was our 2nd 2 stroke, but like any build. Go by the specs and do it right. Take the time to double check everything.

We are currently running it through the break in period and if all goes well, it may stay in my collection for a while.

This ski does have a lot to it, but it not bad if you know how to go slow and troubleshoot things.

Main advice I can give. Use the right oil. It does take a special kind. Do not skimp.

+1
    Thanks I'd like to hear how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    Ok, well I just finished the rebuild on my 2003 GTX DI. It had a seized piston that resulted in the mag breaking lands. I bought the pwc from an electrical engineer who pulled the engine and when he saw the piston, he gave up. He did label all connections and put all the bolts back in the holes. It was a fresh water ski and he was the original and only owner. Gave him $600 for it. I went through the motor and found a damaged piston, scored cylinder, and damaged rave valve.

A guy from here sold me a set of cylinders bored 1mm over and even threw in a piston and gaskets for $50 (My Hero). I bought another new piston, rings, and wrist pins.

The build was easy enough, but I am a manufacturing engineer, and my dad is a Maintenance manager. We have built hundreds of engines together. This was our 2nd 2 stroke, but like any build. Go by the specs and do it right. Take the time to double check everything.

We are currently running it through the break in period and if all goes well, it may stay in my collection for a while.

This ski does have a lot to it, but it not bad if you know how to go slow and troubleshoot things.

Main advice I can give. Use the right oil. It does take a special kind. Do not skimp.

+1
    The DI's in my opinion are very tricky. I have been into about 6 of them in my life and each one gave me issues. I would love to have one again cause they are awesome but I currently do not have one that runs well.

+1
    I have been into several of them, and the RFI skis as well. Main problem I keep finding is low fuel pressure due to clogged original fuel filters that have never been changed. I guess nobody does real maintenance on their stuff.

Thread Information