95 SL750 sat for 10 years

Hey all,

New to the forums and new to PWCs in general. My room mate has a 1995 SL 750 that he hasn't run in (approximately) 10 years. He's looking to get rid of the ski and I'm thinking of taking it off his hands I've done a decent amount of reading around the forums, tracked down both an owners and shop manual, and have checked the links for the starting here with PWCs.

From what my room mate says/remembers from 10 years ago, it ran great at the time. From what I've read so far on the forums I'm guessing that I'm looking at a carb rebuild and fuel system replacement at minimum. What do I need to do before I even try to start it up? I'm afraid that if I just try to start it after sitting so long I might do some damage.

More than happy to provide any other info requested, please just let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	331658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underseat.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	331659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	331660

Banned User
    +1
    DO the fuel system yes. Pull the jet pump and inspect the bearings and seals there. Inspect the through hull seals. I would try and look inside the engine to check for rust. Peek into the spark plug holes with a light. There is tons of info here to get the ski up to date and reliable. The SL 750 is a fun little ride.

By the way, thats a 94 in the pictures, not a 95.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Do the fuel system yes.
    Pull the jet pump and inspect the bearings and seals there.
    Inspect the through hull seals.
    I would try and look inside the engine to check for rust.
    Peek into the spark plug holes with a light.

There is tons of info here to get the ski up to date and reliable...
    Starting the engine is something you do after you have done the inspection and maintenance work.

If your goal is to get it into running condition and have it be reliable, then it is not important to first 'get it started'.

Once you have partially taken the watercraft apart for inspections, cleaned and refreshed the fuel system (including inside the fuel tank) and internally cleaned/rebuilt the carburetors, done all the other checks, pulled the jet pump out to verify bearing and seal integrity, actually starting it becomes almost a matter of 'of course it will start and run, everything is as it should be'.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies! Also, when I first started reading here I learned a TON just from reading the links in your signature, so thanks for that K447!

Another thing I learned from my room mate is that one of the pistons went bad on him and he had a mechanic bore out the cylinder and put in a new piston. Is this a red flag that a piston initially went out or is that somewhat normal for a ski?

I still haven't agreed to buy the ski from my room mate yet until I have had a better chance of going through it, but I'm setting aside my afternoon tomorrow to tearing in to it so I'll report back tomorrow night to give an update on how it went.

Banned User
    +1
    Yes the piston failure leads directly to the fuel system.

Checking back in with updates.....I think this poor ski may be a lost cause. Fuel hoses are falling apart, gas has been sitting in the tank for who knows how long, there is a fair bit of rust around the engine, and as you can see in the pictures, it's just generally not in very good shape. I don't mind a project but this one seems a bit above my pay grade

We decided to test the compression just for giggles.... The front had a compression of 100 on both tests, middle around 80 for both tests, and then back had 75 and 79. I'm no mechanic, but I have a pretty good idea that a 21% difference in compression isn't a very good sign.

I'm going to go ahead and let me room mate know that I'm not going to buy the ski from him. I was pretty excited when I was able to find all this good information on this website but with all the work it needs, no trailer and the fact that he wants me to BUY it from him makes it look like a not very good project to me.

Thanks again for all the advice!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Deryck View Post
    Checking back in with updates.....I think this poor ski may be a lost cause. Fuel hoses are falling apart, gas has been sitting in the tank for who knows how long, there is a fair bit of rust around the engine, and as you can see in the pictures, it's just generally not in very good shape. I don't mind a project but this one seems a bit above my pay grade

We decided to test the compression just for giggles.... The front had a compression of 100 on both tests, middle around 80 for both tests, and then back had 75 and 79. I'm no mechanic, but I have a pretty good idea that a 21% difference in compression isn't a very good sign.

I'm going to go ahead and let me room mate know that I'm not going to buy the ski from him. I was pretty excited when I was able to find all this good information on this website but with all the work it needs, no trailer and the fact that he wants me to BUY it from him makes it look like a not very good project to me.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Good call!!!

Thread Information