2002 Polaris Virage not as fast as it used to be

Hey guys
    I have a 2002 Polaris Virage single carb 700cc with domestic (red) engine. I just replaced the gray tempo fuel lines all around because my ski was bogging down, had no speed, etc. My friend has the EXACT same machine and we were both on the lake today and his was much faster out of the gate than mine. My top speed was around 48, while he was going 55-58, both being single riders ~200#. When replacing the fuel lines we cleaned out the carb pretty well and it runs fine, I'm just curious as to why his had a little more speed than mine. They are both bone stock skis. I think the jets in the carb might be a little gunked up still? We sprayed the jets with carb cleaner but didn't blow them out with an air compressor. Any speculations?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Did you actually take the carburetor apart and fully clean it internally, then rebuild with genuine OEM parts?

Correct NGK spark plugs?

What maximum sustained RPM is each machine producing?
    Speedometer numbers can be inaccurate, RPM is more useful for evaluating engine health.

I did not rebuild the carb, just cleaned thoroughly. I guess a completely rebuilt carb might be in my future. The spark plugs are correct as far as i know. My machine was producing a sustained 6600 isn RPM at full throttle. A mechanic friend of mine has also stated that he thought the jets in the carb might need to be blown out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rabuhrma View Post
    ... My machine was producing a sustained 6600 isn RPM at full throttle...
    6500 RPM is in the right ballpark for maximum RPM on the water. 6700 would be better, of course.

Check the jet pump. Might need to remove it for proper inspection. Excessive blade clearance, bent or dinged impeller blades or damaged stator vanes, or some other issue can reduce thrust and top speed despite the engine power.

While you have the jet pump out inspect the bearings. There should be zero shaft play and zero bearing noise or gritty feeling as you turn the impeller by hand.

Thread Information