Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

300x 3 year review

After a 100 mile ride on Memorial Day, which is one of our roughest water days at the Ozarks, I felt compelled to give a 3 year review on my ski.

Some ski info. Just over 100 hours, no exhaust filter since the first week I got it, washers since day one, and R&D reflash for the past year. Stock class legal with Farthing handling components. Still has stock sc belt! No failures other than the hood latch, which is still broke. Just hard to open. lol. Oh yes, almost forgot that in my first moto at Panama City the valve cover gasket pushed out. My buddies ski also did that when newer.

My first ride on the ski was at the Panama City race in 2011. Picked it up at Farthings on the way to the race. I was a little concerned about the longevity after I submarined it in the first moto (still won that moto) and the motor was full of salt water all weekend. I was also floored with how hard it cornered compared to my 250x and went swimming twice that weekend.

Throughout the past 3 years, I have raced a bunch of closed course races, shootouts, 100 mile plus rides and countless races against other skis. The latest being a new svho. Pretty sure he was stock, but he didn't want to talk after me and my best friend raped him in the rough. My best friend has an identically set up 300x.

I never keep anything for very long as I always want the best or something different. Shoot, I have had 5 different trucks since I bought my 300. I can honestly say that I have not had the feeling that I am on subpar equipment in the past 3 years. I was kinda bored with it and dissapointed after getting drug off the line by GL and others at Racine last year, but getting the R&D reflash and prop really made this a new ski for me.

The only criticisms I have had are after being on my 250x, the 300 felt very twitchy to me and not as stable in cross chop. I have found tho moving the sponsons back a little has helped, but still not the same. I just find if I start to get twitchy, just hammer it and it will straighten out. Also, I find it hard to grip the ski with my legs compared to other ski's I have ridden. Keep in mind I have severe Rhumatoid Arthritis, so I can't bend my knees more than about 90 degrees so it's hard to get into the ultras optimal cornering position. Despite my initial comfort issues, I still find myself wanting to get back on my ultra when riding other peoples skis.

On this past couple of long rides we have done, I have found that fuel consumption on the 300 is vastly different for different riding styles. My buddy used 8 more gallons of gas than I did. Although we rode the same pace and the water was rediculously rough (he commented that he saw the bottom of my rideplate about a dozen times lol) our two different riding styles really showed at the pump. He just keeps it hammered and I like to get a rhythm going with the waves. Guess this might explain all the vastly different fuel consumption issues we always see on the boards. Speaking of his ski, he got his in 2012, only has about 50 hours, but he is the worst with maintenance and he has also had no issues.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

+1
    Glad to hear your review doesnt surprise us Owners one bit.

Banned User
    +1
    Superb review, and it's nice that someone else gets the fact that the "filter" is superfluous in fresh water if the exhaust is properly purged. Are you running 93 on the R&D reflash? What trim position do you run in the chop? I've found one up from neutral to be very stable as long as you're on the gas. This ski is the undisputed master of the rough, and glass water riding requires zero skill or conditioning.

+1
    On the exhaust filter most of us keep it in for the starting issues that are proven to happen when its removed fresh or salt. Only advantage for freshwater users is it has been proven to last longer.

Banned User
    +1
    I might add that installation of lifter wedges on outer footwells made a big difference in my confidence in the rough (thank you warren). No need to grip the seat and no leg chafing, just stand up, lock your feet in, and gas it

+1
    The only issue I had was a cooling line broke going to the oil cooler, glad I was close to the dock and a broken hood latch, both fixed under warranty. The kawasaki rep told the dealer cheap Chinese hoses, I plan on replacing all of them and installing a bilge pump as I started seeing a little water in the hull again and probably have another one getting ready to break. I replaced the exhaust filter at 50 hours with a little corrosion on one side, I probably could have left it in... I ride about even on salt and fresh water and always do my post ride maintenance. I did not get that many hours last year due to weather and work, been making up for it this year!

+1
    Great review, thanks for posting it. Gives the newer players to this model much more confidence

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    Overall, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
    ---------------
    +1

Good News - Thanks for sharing.

Tried to give +1 to your post - but it would not allow - not certain why??? (Sean)?
    ======================================
    This is what was shown when I tried to +1

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

+1
    Same for me, can't give a thumb.

This is proof the Ultra is much more reliable than before.
    I am very happy that I pulled the trigger on another Ultra 300X and that one is not as naughty as my first 2011 Ultra 300X!

Can't wait to see what Kawasaki is going to release in the future

10. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up and share your experience.
    I also have a 2011 Ultra 300x. I have abused it badly with it being a race ski. All I will say is that same ski is what I chose to stick with this year to defend my two national titles and give it another shot at World Finals. This ski has been and still is more than I was ever expecting.
    Last edited by lasportsmn; 06-10-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information