Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2004 msx 140 takes 5 to 10 min to get up to proper speed

Hi, new here hoping some one can help me out. I have a 2004 msx 140 pwc. when first starting the pwc it does not want to stay running right away when its in the water, start stop several times, once it stays running it will only go 25 mph 3000 rpms with wide open throttle. after 5 min or so it will start to pickup speed and eventually will start running fine. after that 63 mph at 6500 rpms and will run perfect. It will do this ever time, when starting out cold,any help?

Banned User
    +1
    A couple of things come to mind. The first one is to check your fuel pressure. I recently had this same issue with my MSX. It would act like it was on some sort of limiter until it ran for a bit, then it was ok. Turns out I lost the fuel pressure regulator in the tank. A lot of times when this happens, if its not caught soon enough, it can take out 1 or more cylinders. I lost all of the plating on my center cylinder, so I have to rebuild that.

The other possibility is an EMM issue. Sometimes when am EMM is on the way out, they will act funny until they get warm.

Could also be a TPS issue.

I would first check fuel pressure at the T fitting in the return line. If you see zero pressure, then you lost the regulator and you need to repair the fuel pump.

You can then try swapping the TPS with a new or known good one. Its always good to have a new TPS on hand with these DI machines.

If you need help, let us know where you are located. A member may be able to help.

If it was fuel related why would continue to run great once it starts running properly? I can start and stop and run the heck out of it the rest of the day without any problems. Its just when its been sitting awhile and cools down that the problem occurs.

is there a way to tell if the emm is bad?

what should the fuel psi be? I ski is in phillips wi

Banned User
    +1
    Fuel pressure should be over 20 PSI. Somewhere between 20 and 30 PSI.

I can't explain why it would run ok after warming up, but mine did. But you risk engine damage from going too lean with no fuel pressure. These engines already run very lean, and anything out of whack can push them over the edge.

Usually it becomes apparent that the EMM is bad after everything else checks out ok on the ski, and there is nothing left to explain what is happening. Most checks are relatively simple.

Is the fuel pump in the tank?

Banned User
    +1
    Yes it is in the tank. I removed mine last week. The whole steering assembly needs to be removed and the pump comes out rather easily after that.

thanks I will check this weekend. any other thoughts out there?

Banned User
    +1
    There is a good thread in the tech tips and info section on repairing the regulator if you need it. I did mine last week and it was relatively simple.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information