Thread: RIP GoPro

+1

RIP GoPro

Was riding with my GoPro on the ocean this weekend and the suction cup mount gave way causing the GoPro to fall into the water, but no worries because it all floats.... unfortunately, when it fell the housing latch hit the side of the ski causing the housing to open up and the actual camera to get wet. Dried it with a towel and put it in rice for 24 hours... the camera still works (kinda) but is flaky. Time for an upgrade.

Moral of the story, put a little piece of duct tape over the latch when you ride so this doesnt happen to you

Banned User
    +1
    Better yet, DONT USE THE SUCTION CUP!!!!!!!! Nobody ever listens to me when I say that and all I hear is "I use the suction cup with no problems" There are 2 problems with the suction cup.

1. Its a suction cup. They all let go at some point in time.

2. The whole assembly is too heavy to float with the floaty back door.

I use the adhesive mounts, and they are strong as hell. I ride Lake Michigan which is some of the nastiest water you will find anywhere, including the ocean. Never an issue. I dont trust anything to a suction cup.

This wasn't meant as a shot at you Mike, its more for others so they don't lose a valuable camera like you did.

+1
    I have the GoPro suction mount and am surprised at how strong and stable it is. It has been hit by water hard enough to rotate the camera all the way back pointing at the sky without the suction mount releasing. That said I always use a tether strap from the camera to something solid I have not needed it so far, I know the day will come.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Better yet, DONT USE THE SUCTION CUP!!!!!!!! Nobody ever listens to me when I say that and all I hear is "I use the suction cup with no problems" There are 2 problems with the suction cup.

1. Its a suction cup. They all let go at some point in time.

2. The whole assembly is too heavy to float with the floaty back door.

I use the adhesive mounts, and they are strong as hell. I ride Lake Michigan which is some of the nastiest water you will find anywhere, including the ocean. Never an issue. I dont trust anything to a suction cup.

This wasn't meant as a shot at you Mike, its more for others so they don't lose a valuable camera like you did.
    I zip tied a piece of styrofoam to the suction cup and it floats the entire unit. The issue was that the latch failed. But hey, live and learn. (For what it's worth, this is the first time in two years the suction cup every let go on me).

+1
    i just use a chesty mount or a head mount and tether it to my jacket.

Thread Information