+1

2000 slh 700 what seems like cavitation or vibration

Hey everyone. First I wanted to thank everyone for all the help on these forums I know I don't post much but I definitely read and shift through them.

I have an issue that is currently stumping me.

Let me provide some background on the ski.
    2000 slh that I just rebuilt the motor on. New fuel lines and carb rebuild. I have owned this ski for 4 years.

About 14 hours on a rebuilt pump. Replaced all bearings and seals.

Now for the issue...

After rebuilding the motor and getting it back Into the ski I am having a vibration issue or cavitation feeling at WOT when under load. What I mean by this if I'm just going straight on calm water there is no cavitation or vibration. When I am WOT and turning hard or accelerating from idle I can feel the vibration.

The vibration almost feels like the ski is hitting the rev limiter.

So far I have checked ....

Ride plate
    Pump seals and bearings
    Fuel system is new and it runs strong. Doesn't seem like a carb issue.

I'm wondering could the alignment have gotten out of wack. I have the shims in proper places from previous engine and pump allignment. It doesn't seem like the engine is stuttering under heavy load at WOT but I am open to any suggestions on what to check. I'm stumped.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Not sure how vibration and rev limiter can feel the same.

Did you remove the jet pump base from the hull? Normally it is sealed in place and does not need to be removed when working on the jet pump.

Make sure the jet pump sections are properly seated into each other. It is possible to have a pump section canted or hung up on an edge and not properly seated.

Is there any chance the problem is ignition/electrical? Loose connection or wire rubbing on the engine somewhere?

+1
    Pump base was never removed. Pump is seated properly and the splines are greased. I inspected the through hull bearings and they seemed ok. I could try replacing those if that could be my problem.

What I mean by rev limiter is like the ski is reaching rpm but the ski is struggling to accelerate. But this only happens when if I'm turning hard or under load. If I accelerate to half and then to WOT this does not happen

I can double check electrical. Nothing should be rubbing anywhere but i will check it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdesim View Post
    ... the ski is reaching rpm but the ski is struggling to accelerate. But this only happens when if I'm turning hard or under load.

If I accelerate to half and then to WOT this does not happen
    This sounds like jet pump ventilation. An air leak into the suction side of the jet pump, somewhere forward of the impeller.

Check or redo the sealant between the ride plate and the hull, the pump shoe and the hull, around the rear of the intake grate.

The through-hull driveshafts seals must also not be leaking air into the jet pump.

There is suction in the jet pump tunnel during hard acceleration until the hull gets on plane and picks up some speed. The forward hull motion at speed pressurizes the pump intake and air suction leaks become water pressure leaks ...

Other possibilities (thinking about the vibration aspect) might be a loose engine mount.

You have checked all the pivot bolts and such for the steering nozzle, all other moving jet pump parts back there?

+1
    I will check what you have suggested here. I don't think it's an engine mount but hey you never know.

The steering nozzle was one of the first things I checked to make sure nothing was loose.

I will check and report back with findings or solution.

Thanks for the help. I agree with jet pump ventilation now after the explanation. That sounds like what's happening.

+1
    Just wanted to update this so if anyone else had this issue the fix would be here. The problem ended up being the seals on the through hull bearing. Thanks k447 for the help in diagnosing. Ski runs beautifully now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdesim View Post
    Just wanted to update this so if anyone else had this issue the fix would be here. The problem ended up being the seals on the through hull bearing.

Thanks k447 for the help in diagnosing. Ski runs beautifully now.

Did you check the bushings inside for wear when you changed the seals in the through-hull assembly? There should be virtually no slop or wobble where the driveshaft goes through the bushings.

If the internal bushings are worn then the new seals will have a shortened life due to drive shaft wobble against the seals.

+1
    I did. Bushings were in good condition I had replaced them last season. Thanks again.

Thread Information