Yamaha 1999 1200xl

Can someone tell me how to manually rotate the crankshaft to see if the motor is seized without to much work? Is there access on the shaft around the powerunit for a wrench? I've already dumped a oil into the cylinders. When i try and start it, the starter motor clicks and makes a humming sound. You know that that sound a starter makes when it's locked or the motor it's trying to turn is locked?

Thanks

+1
    Reach between the rear of the motor and stinger exhaust pipe and unbolt the PTO cover. You might also be able to reach around the stinger, but it's not easy. There is a single 10mm. Once the cover is off, and the plugs are out, you should be able to turn the PTO by hand.

A swelled wear ring could also prevent the PTO from turning. You might be able to see that by visually inspecting the impeller clearance through the nozzle, but it can be hard to see sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post
    Reach between the rear of the motor and stinger exhaust pipe and unbolt the PTO cover. You might also be able to reach around the stinger, but it's not easy. There is a single 10mm. Once the cover is off, and the plugs are out, you should be able to turn the PTO by hand.

A swelled wear ring could also prevent the PTO from turning. You might be able to see that by visually inspecting the impeller clearance through the nozzle, but it can be hard to see sometimes.
    Ok thanks!

The wear ring you referring to, Is that the one right at the PTO housing, or the Ring around the impeller housing? I was thinking it was the impeller housing.

+1
    It is the ring your impeller spins in / Around the impeller, should be stainless unless of course its been changed to the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    It is the ring your impeller spins in / Around the impeller, should be stainless unless of course its been changed to the plastic.
    That's what I thought.

Thanks

Thread Information