Thread: Cruising speed

Cruising speed

I'm thinking about getting my first PWC but have a question about how they resemble a conventional outboard boat. The PWC's I've seen seem to be moving either very fast or very slow. Do they get up on a plane quickly and can they then be throttled back to a efficient cruise speed of, say, 15 to 20 mph?? Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    Cruise at whatever speed you want. The 2 strokes have some issues cruising at certain speeds until they get "on the pipe" but for the most part you can go as fast or slow as you want.

+1
    They definitely plane out quicker than any outboard I've ever seen. Most of the time I ride around 60ish mph, but I have to say, once in a while a slow cruise around 20 can be pretty relaxing and enjoyable.

Welcome to the PWC world and Greenhulk!

Ride safe

+1
    Seems like "our gang" is usually cruising at about 40. During MudBug we cruised with people who cruise at 60--which is full throttle for me. I didn't find it as enjoyable since I wasn't able to sight see as well and it sure burned up a lot more fuel!

i cruised at 25 mph for almost 70 miles...good speed to sight see but if need be i can plane up very fast and usually catch whatever boat i want to...they offer the best of both worlds

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I find our hulls are not entirely up on plane and easy running until something over 30mph, so typical cruising tends to be in the 30+ zone.

These things can get up onto plane in just a few seconds with a firm hand on the throttle, then back off after you are on plane.

At very slow speeds off plane the bow tends to hunt left and right, requiring frequent minor steering corrections. No wake zones can be a chore for this reason, plus having to maintain light finger pressure on the throttle lever to control the speed. Some newer models now have cruise control and you can lock the throttle at any speed setting.

+1
    I have two Gp1300r.... how long is it ok to hold the throttle full open?

We had them full open for about 4 miles in flat water last time and i was worried could be doing damage??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waveblasterlynch View Post
    I have two Gp1300r.... how long is it ok to hold the throttle full open?

We had them full open for about 4 miles in flat water last time and i was worried could be doing damage??
    Not to get off topic, but thats never really a good idea with any ski. I never stay pinned on the throttle too long. You just need to have good judgment. If you say you were worried you could be doing damage you should not have stayed at WOT. Nothings wrong with running at WOT but just give the engine a break once in a while, Machines are not made to cruise for long periods of time at full throttle.

Thread Information