+1

polaris virage/genesis steering bushing replacement

Ok gents, I'm about to throw tools across the garage floor, drink another beer and scream like a coyote. Arrgh! Whats a man to do? Get a clue, and post this topic before I say screw it and start getting stupid, lol. here is my situation.

2002 genesis and 2001 virage, both of them having play in the steering. the up and down kind of play. I suspect worn steering bushings. Ok, so I try my luck with Ebay, can buy complete assemblies for like 20 bucks. much cheaper then new bushing X4 at 45 dollars each. Not delivered yet but we shall see.

Anyways, I have no clue on shortcuts and tips. I got the steering cover off, took apart the throttle cable at the thumb throttle, felt inside the genesis and yeah, it will be a bitch but I think I can reach the bolts to take off the shroud by going through the front compartment.

Now the electrical connectors. Some my biatche! I cannot get them apart. Scared to death I'm gonna rip a wire. please help. is there a tool to use? Where can I buy it?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm no idiot and have rebuilt and installed a new motor in my carb virage. I can get my way around a motor. But at the same time scared and all the little thoughts are dancing in my head.

If I break a plug connector it will come apart while riding, should the battery be disconnected?
    Will I burn up the computer if I don't disconnect the battery when I disconnect these connections?

Another beer, and I find myself saying ask the pros idiot. KK47 ?? or close to that I find to be a super star with these Polaris toys.

I'm stopping. Looking for help. Please advise. Do I even need to fix This? I have no idea. thoughts dance through my head of the wife hitting a swell and the handle bars pulling out and she crashes. Or me. I think I should?

I've jumped the gun on this one and probably over thought it. LOl.

anyways, please advise. Stupid me.
    Last edited by K447; 06-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Which connectors are giving you trouble?

Perhaps a few photos would help here.

+1
    The plug connectors that run through the steering stem to the handlebar controls. There are 4 of them. I'm guessing the handlebar assembly needs to be removed to get the shroud off to access the steering housing assembly. Once I get that removed it looks like it needs to be turned upside down to remove the steering bushings. The plug connections have 3 pins that hold it locked together for each connection. To pull apart it appears one must have all three pushed in. And that's my issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bighad View Post
    The plug connectors that run through the steering stem to the handlebar controls. There are 4 of them.

I'm guessing the handlebar assembly needs to be removed to get the shroud off to access the steering housing assembly. Once I get that removed it looks like it needs to be turned upside down to remove the steering bushings.

The plug connections have 3 pins that hold it locked together for each connection. To pull apart it appears one must have all three pushed in. And that's my issue.
    I do not have a Genesis here to compare.

Post some photos of the connectors that are giving trouble. I have various wire harnesses on hand so I can check how they are supposed to disconnect once I know which connector we are talking about.

+1
    Thank you so very much K447. I got it figured out today. Ski is apart. And thanks for fixing my rambling post yesterday. Hopefully this E-bay purchase has better steering bearings then my current set up. BTW, is it ok to disconnect the digital display while the battery is connected? It wont turn on the computer being unplugged will it? These damn Bitch, err, ficth EMM's scare the heck out of me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bighad View Post
    ... is it ok to disconnect the digital display while the battery is connected? It wont turn on the computer being unplugged will it?

These ... Ficht EMM's scare the heck out of me.
    No problem unplugging the MFI display at the connector behind the display. FYI, the display has a separate fuse.

Note: While the MFI display is unplugged the Start button will not crank the engine unless a bypass jumper is inserted into the display wire harness plug.

The EMM is actually quite robust, in terms of messing about working on the machine.

The EMM is powered entirely from the rotating flywheel magnets and the stator coils. When the engine is not turning, there is effectively no power feed into the EMM.

There is 12 volts at the 8-pin wire harness connector but that connection is used to charge the battery, not power the EMM.

Thread Information