Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Real speed number 2014 svho fzs r2 reflash

Ok guys. I am not seeing the 78-80 mph claim from R&D.
    my 2014 fzs now has 6 hours on it. Before the reflash I never had a GPS on it. The speedo would read 72-73 mph stock.
    I did the r2 reflash, ribbon delete, tial blow off valve and r&d cooling kit.
    it seems to pull a little harder than stock but not night and day difference like everyone says.
    speedo now pegs the 80 mph mark. I put on a garmin forerunner 101 GPS and best gps speed was 74.0 mph. I am 220 lbs and my 65 pound son was on back. This was pretty smooth water but not glass. We ran the 74 when we just went to 2 bars on the fuel. So probably 11 gallons? Funny thing I let my son off and made a run alone and it was not any faster. Actually 73.8.
    so where is the 80 mph everyone claims? Is that with a 100 pound rider and no fuel on glass smooth water? If I would have known this I would have left it stock and kept my warranty.... I wanted to go 80
    I chose this ski over the 310r because I was told it would go 80. I am not dumping more money in it. Yes it is fast but 6mph slower than r&d's claim...

+1
    What RPM at top speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpenracing View Post
    my 2014 fzs now has 6 hours on it. Before the reflash I never had a GPS on it. The speedo would read 72-73 mph stock.
    it seems to pull a little harder than stock but not night and day difference like everyone says.
    speedo now pegs the 80 mph mark. I put on a garmin forerunner 101 GPS and best gps speed was 74.0 mph. I am 220 lbs and my 65 pound son was on back. This was pretty smooth water but not glass. We ran the 74 when we just went to 2 bars on the fuel. So probably 11 gallons? Funny thing I let my son off and made a run alone and it was not any faster. Actually 73.8.
    so where is the 80 mph everyone claims? Is that with a 100 pound rider and no fuel on glass smooth water? If I would have known this I would have left it stock and kept my warranty.... I wanted to go 80
    I chose this ski over the 310r because I was told it would go 80. I am not dumping more money in it. Yes it is fast but 6mph slower than r&d's claim...

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigpenracing View Post
    What is your elevation?

I have very similar mods except r/d intake grate, tommy jordan exhaust mod, tunnel reinforcement and a tiny tach. I live and ride at 2100-2200' elevation. Air has been 70ish and water is still cool in the low 60's.

Best I've seen on the same gps was 76.9 with 2 bars and just going to 1 bar. I weigh 275lbs.

My problem is my rpms are only 8200. I would bet money you are not hitting 8500rpms regularly unless you come unhooked. Go buy the $40 tiny tach and make some passes to see what you are getting. Make sure you turn ski off in between runs to reset max rpm on tach.

You may need to repitch like I do. I also think we are hitting the 14psi boost limiter even though Glenn says the stock wheel wont produce that much. Jerry's testing shows otherwise...so it may be best to run an R3 with the same rev limiter as the R2.

Jerry did it with a V3 which is faster in very cold weather then Dean did it with a plate intake repitch and VIPEC which is also faster.a consistant 80mph isnt going to happen on this ski with JUST a flash.

+1
    First, R&D says the Stage 2 kit from them averages 80-81 MPH. They do not make the claim the R2 provides that. You are missing a few important parts in the equation of the Stage 2 kit that they use to reach 80mph. You have not replaced the ride plate or intake so you are dropping a few MPH right there. I do not see you mentioning an aftermarket intake either so the stock intake will also cost you power, and then R&D recommends a change in prop. That might not be needed but reports are that the factory prop pitch is all over the place with some better than others.

Like stated above you really should get a tach and see where you are at RPM wise. Then you can have the prop pitch verified and adjusted if needed. I would recommend replacing the ride plate and Riva is releasing a Stainless Steel intake grate shortly. The one other item I would also look at is the Lucky13 pump cone as that will allow you to possibly get you where you want with out having to pitch/change the prop

+1
    This is the fine tuning part.. don't expect to throw parts at a ski and its going to magicly go fast. Good luck, going to sound like a broken recored but rpm/prop is where the rest of your speed is at

I am at 300ft. Temp today was high 80's. Not sure on rpm..
    Glens site says 78-80 with R2 and stock prop. It is fast and fun but all the hype on here going 80 with just a reflash is probably not the whole story.... I read numerous threads that the svho was the one to buy because it would go 80. I could have got the 310 and removed the top end limiter for $250 and went the same speed... Right??? I was talked out of the 310.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the yamaha but just learned again you can't listen to the salesmans crap... Just like Glen said it was SO EASY doing the cooling kit. Just a few hoses and fittings. LOL!

+1
    Well my FZR before is walked off. Did 74mph (on gps) with just intake grate and ride plate before it was dropped back down thanks to the limiter.

And I would not listen to the same crap about the Kawi yes you can remove the limiter, but same thing goes.

Pick up a tach and see where you are at, my money is on the prop pitch.

I would also consider an air intake, the stock unit will be restrictive as when you are turning those higher RPM's the engine requires a higher CFM and an aftermarket unit has a higher flowing filter to supply that air getting you mx boost.

+1
    U need to figure out what the rpms to start off with. Also u said u weighed 220 lbs plus your son at 65lbs. The 285lbsthe on the ski will make a difference in speed to

Banned User
    +1
    Last edited by Rocketman; 10-09-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information