+1

sucking a rock? whats the damage?

ok, so the wife is pretty good, she knows the drill, if you hit shallow water "SHUT IT OFF". she did, but she sucked a rock. Got it out of the water, removed the rock, took a flashlight, looked ok. Anyways, next time driven it has a slight vibration. Nothing major. had about 450lbs on the ski, it rode fine, pulled out of the water fine. Hits top speed, but kinda wondering if this "vibration" will lead to prop bearing failure and something else. Ruined weekend! Your thoughts? Should I be concerned or say oh well, no biggie? The wear ring showed signs or minimal scarring on it. yes I saw a groove mark but it was very minimal. What to do? No worry or make a repair? I hate ruined weekends and I tend to overthink things. I cant help who I am, lol.

+1
    and no, the wife is not 450lbs! It had my son on it! I'm 6'5" and I look up to him. I'll leave it at that!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would remove the jet pump and inspect the impeller.

Depending on how badly the rock jammed against the impeller it is possible to slightly bent the stub shaft that the impeller threads on to. A bent stub shaft can eventually tear up the jet pump bearings and possibly wear down the splines where the impeller mates to the driveshaft.

So look for any signs off wobble or out of true as you turn the impeller by hand during inspection.

+1
    Agree with k. Pull the pump and inspect! Its only a 10 to 15 minute job to pull it.

+1
    ok, seems easy enough. On the back of the genesis there is a black plastic extension on the right side, cant figure out how to take apart. Its not the reverse linkage, and not steering. What is it, and how does it come apart? I haven't even looked hard yet, but curious. To take apart the pump is what, 4 long bolts? And linkages? whats the '10" minute way. Seems ever damn job takes me 2 hours. Mostly cause I over examine everything one step at a time.

+1
    these damn Polaris always make me over worry. parts are not easily found, expensive as hell and the skiis aren't worth much. So I go waay overboard careful not to mess up anything when working on them. Always fly by the seat of my pants unless I can find a diagram to exam before taking apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bighad View Post
    ok, seems easy enough. On the back of the genesis there is a black plastic extension on the right side, cant figure out how to take apart. Its not the reverse linkage, and not steering. What is it, and how does it come apart? I haven't even looked hard yet, but curious. To take apart the pump is what, 4 long bolts? And linkages? whats the '10" minute way. Seems ever damn job takes me 2 hours. Mostly cause I over examine everything one step at a time.
    these damn Polaris always make me over worry. parts are not easily found, expensive as hell and the skiis aren't worth much. So I go waay overboard careful not to mess up anything when working on them. Always fly by the seat of my pants unless I can find a diagram to exam before taking apart.

4 long bolts. the steering linkage and the reverse linkage. the pump may be stuck on the ski if it has not been takin off in awhile or use in salt water. click on the link in mine or k447's signature for more info on how to remove the pump.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... fly by the seat of my pants unless I can find a diagram to exam before taking apart.
    Um, do you know about all the info located via my signature web links?

Lots of info on the jet pump, even how-to videos.

Thread Information