Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

951 DI Guys.... anything new?

I know the 951 DI motor is not the best for performance modifications but I want to get a little more out of mine. Has there been anyone new in the industry that has come out with anything for them besides PPG? How about a rideplate, grate or sponsons? I currently have a Solas Dynafly 13/19 that woke my RX up across the board. I then tried an AAT from WetWolf and I believe it loaded the motor too much with the impeller. That is why I am leary of adding a grate that will load the pump more without being able to add the power to handle it. Any suggestions other than the PPG L1 DI kit? Opinions on the L1 are welcome as well.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKID View Post
    I know the 951 DI motor is not the best for performance modifications but I want to get a little more out of mine. Has there been anyone new in the industry that has come out with anything for them besides PPG? How about a rideplate, grate or sponsons? I currently have a Solas Dynafly 13/19 that woke my RX up across the board. I then tried an AAT from WetWolf and I believe it loaded the motor too much with the impeller. That is why I am leary of adding a grate that will load the pump more without being able to add the power to handle it. Any suggestions other than the PPG L1 DI kit? Opinions on the L1 are welcome as well.
    Nope, no one offer's a Lvl 1 for the DI kit other than them...I use to work for PPG, and rode a few units...WOW! other than the head and MPEM mod, thats it...Can't pipe it, it doesn't like it at all...AAT, nope...

The DI is a reliable motor, and the DI upgrade compliments it very well...

A Worx grate will work fine, no extra load at all, its more of a "keep it hooked up in chop" grate...

Sponsons, if you can find some BeachHouse units leftover...or...I make unit for RX's, very similar. PM me if interest on them...

+1
    Well I have been contemplating the L1 for a couple of years now hoping the cost would eventually come down some. It dosn't look like it will so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and order one.
    I would like to do some handling mods though. When I lived in MS I did mostly freshwater riding in the river so I never got a grate because chop wasnt an issue and I didnt want to scrub any topend if I didnt need to. Now that I live in FL I mostly ride in the bay and out front where it is always choppy. I have read where sponsons also help in chop as they lift the rear to prevent porpoising.
    Did Beach House go out of business? I just did some parts browsing and found BH sponsons on one site's online catalog. :dunno:

Banned User
    +1
    The reason the cost has not come down is that the MPEM reprogram is a bulk of it, the rest is the cost of machining the head (which is 3x's longer than a normal Level 1 carb'd head), and the prop....

For the gains, reliability, better fuel consumption (it sips gas), the power/$$$ can't be beat...

Go for it, and have them powdercoat the head too, its worth it for the BLING factor...I offered that to every customer that got the package, and I matched their ski color...

+1
    Leave it stock bro, save the headache. If you ride in the bay, worx grate would suit you well. The sponsons will give you better handling and help some with the bouncing in the bay. I've never personally used one of Danny's sponsons so I can't comment on whether they are good or not. I know he's made several and has had some great responses. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a much stronger backing plate for the sponsons as well correct (question is for Danny)?
    SHOOTER

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Leave it stock bro, save the headache. If you ride in the bay, worx grate would suit you well. The sponsons will give you better handling and help some with the bouncing in the bay. I've never personally used one of Danny's sponsons so I can't comment on whether they are good or not. I know he's made several and has had some great responses. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a much stronger backing plate for the sponsons as well correct (question is for Danny)?
    SHOOTER

Having installed a few L1 DI kits myself, and worked on some that had over 100 hours on them, I can say they are as reliable as the carb'd L1's...Only REAL issue with the DI's is the fuel baffle/pump, which was a problem in early models but they nailed it down in the last 2-3 model years...BUT if you store the ski's for a long peroid of time with atleast 1/2 tank in it, and coat the top of the tank with Bombardier lube, you're set...never let the connections "dry" out and corrode, or expose them to salt water without flushing them within 24 hours...IT SUCKS to replace connections, especially whe they are part of a long harness!

Probably the best rides I had was after the shop closed on a Saturday, we took some ski's out on the innercoastal to Miami...I took out a 03" RX DI with a FULL Level 1 package, NuJet prop, set of R&D Nozzles, Worx grate...talke about GET UP AND GO! With a 3/4 tank of gas I was walking past an RXT that had OPAS removed, wedge, intake, and the just released Solas prop for that ski....

I'm not trying to push you towards them, and I am not beig paid to promote...But having worked on them and ridden them, they are a perfect setup when done propely and taken care of...Near warm water, they would hold their own...In the midwest and small lakes, they would OWN it othr than an RXP...

As for the sponsons on the XPL, the backing plate is a COMPOUND unit. It has the built in cambe to follow the angle of the hull, AND, it has the proper stepout to match the hyperbolaric design of the XPL hull...In English, it means the blades are as close to parallel as possible....Tokk me atleast 3 design tries to get it right...Thinnest part is is 5/8th thick in the top front, thickest is 1.5" the the bottom rear...2 pairs of inserts, 6 holes on the blade, and you have 12 adjustable locations...

Here is some pics of an install I did on RXP Steve's XPL last summer, before he got his RXP...

http://www.theudells.com/PWC/gallery...son/dannys.htm

PM me if interested...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    GP doesn't need any bones thrown his way. You should advise this person of potential problems with the MPEM reprogram...like so many others have experienced...

+1
    Not only that RQ, but don't you like to hear how they tank your ski out and ride it balls to the walls?
    SHOOTER

+1
    I have used Danny's sponsons.. They are equal to, if not better than, our Worx racing sponsons.. And we have the only prototype! lol

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    I have used Danny's sponsons.. They are equal to, if not better than, our Worx racing sponsons.. And we have the only prototype! lol
    It would cost me 3x's the amount to reproduce those again in Aluminum, price of metal has risen that much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information