+1

Think I trashed the wear ring at last lol.

Today hit some areas wayyy shallow while out with the kids and sucked up a fair amount of sand. Tons of rain past few days made it hard to avoid. Now out of the hole it makes some horrible sounds and just revs fast with little go then will hook up and go. Up on plain not much change than before this new problem. Heres a pic from the front side, whats your thoughts ??
    Or do I have another issue?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	332176
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	332175  

Hard to see the clearance between the wear ring and impeller from the pics, but the symptoms sound like a bad wear ring. One thing i noticed is the nose cone is not on the impeller. If you were using it and it came dislodged, that would cause cavitation also.

+1
    HA...dude I didnt even notice that. I had thought about it several times about how streamlined it all is then to have the splines open... Dohhhh !!! Have to go shopping I guess.

Not using it should not cause cavitation, but it can come off it could push up into the carbon boot.

+1
    Dont think it was ever there, will take a better look tomorrow and go from there. My impeller looks fantastic though, not even a nick in it.

Running without a nose cone is my prefered option. Nose cone gives so little, if any, improvement, but causes all sorts of problem (when) not if it cones loose. Many GH riders run no cone. If you must use one then the safest bet is the OEM rubber one. The Solas green ones can't wait to get thenselves free!!

Move over to the darkside and run coneless, you'll never look back.

+1
    Yep I left out the nose cone on that impeller, they tend to come loose and cause damage, so it was just one less thing to worry about.

+1
    Yea, dump the worrysome nose cone, don't worry about the salt, sand, dirt and debris destroying the shaft splines and costing 10x doing the nose cone right.
    Ever actually look at the nose cone, it serves a function other than filling the space infront of the impeller.
    The stock one has 3 sealing ribs at the front, and seals to the impeller. Keeps the spines from getting contaminated with water and sand and gunk. Solas has an O ring for the same function.
    Wonder if you get enough gunk in there, the shaft gets pushed forward opening the carbon seal or worse, pushing the driveshaft far enough forward to destroy the engine thrust bearings.
    Everey time you run in salt, and the ski drys out, salt hardens and builds up in the impeller , every ride/dry cycle add more and rinseing it off will not get it out. Sand, even worse, my as well pull out your drive shaft and run the splines against a grinding wheel.
    If the cone is comming off, something is wrong.

Don't reply with "lots of skis run without them" excuse. Well maybe, but I have seen a lot of " thrust bearing gone, carbon seal failed, can't get pump off, splines runded off, etc. Maybe it cause they don't have a nose cone in some cases.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Yea, dump the worrysome nose cone, don't worry about the salt, sand, dirt and debris destroying the shaft splines and costing 10x doing the nose cone right.
    Ever actually look at the nose cone, it serves a function other than filling the space infront of the impeller.
    The stock one has 3 sealing ribs at the front, and seals to the impeller. Keeps the spines from getting contaminated with water and sand and gunk. Solas has an O ring for the same function.
    Wonder if you get enough gunk in there, the shaft gets pushed forward opening the carbon seal or worse, pushing the driveshaft far enough forward to destroy the engine thrust bearings.
    Everey time you run in salt, and the ski drys out, salt hardens and builds up in the impeller , every ride/dry cycle add more and rinseing it off will not get it out. Sand, even worse, my as well pull out your drive shaft and run the splines against a grinding wheel.
    If the cone is comming off, something is wrong.

Don't reply with "lots of skis run without them" excuse. Well maybe, but I have seen a lot of " thrust bearing gone, carbon seal failed, can't get pump off, splines runded off, etc. Maybe it cause they don't have a nose cone in some cases.
    ++++++100

I tap all mines with a flat head screw driver in a couple of places then add red lock tite and wallaa!!! 88mph nose cone still solid!!!!

That groove gouged around the inside of the ring doesn't seem to match the position of the impeller. Almost like the impeller walked out, cut that brown groove and returned to its current position.

Thread Information