Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Red face New Member, Trying to Revive a 96 Polaris SL900 Need Carb Parts...Advice..etc

Hi, Everyone

I purchased a 96 Polaris SL900. Was not running told it needed a battery, and there was no spark. Bought a new battery, brought it home, installed battery, connected a loose ground wire from CDI box. Added a little 2 stroke oil to each cylinder, bumped over a few times,checked compression (mag-60, cen-125, pto-125) added a few spray of oil gas mix to carbs and she started! rans for about 10 seconds and died. before I did all this I also Drained old gas out of tank and cleaned, and installed new fuel.

We brought her out to the water and she ran a little rough, but ran for about 10 Minutes, and then died, and could not get to start back up. Brought her home, and decided the carbs had to be pulled and cleaned.... removed carbs, and surprisingly they were pretty clean, did not find much to clean, sprayed out all passages with zmax carb cleaner. Noticed before I removed carbs accelerator pump would only spray SOMETIMES when throttle was pulled. when I had carbs off and opened up accelerator pump noticed the diaphram looked rough but not torn ; sprayed out good, re-seated and closed pump back up. Sprayed cleaner through the hose to clear the jets...cleaner sprayed through all 3 jets fine. Once I installed the carbs back on the engine, noticed the accel pump STILL not spraying!! When I start her up she runs rough, I convinced I must buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the carbs, but was hoping since they were so clean that would not be needed.

Also I head about adjusting Hi and Low jets...but not sure where they, found post explained How to adjust them just not sure where they are actually located. I did see a knob type adjustment that lets you rotate about 90 degrees that has an L by it(guessing this is the Low jet???). Also located a hole above that that has a H next to it (guessing this is the Hi jet???) but no apparent way to adjust it. Is there a special tool needed to adjust the High jet, if infact this is the Hi jet Im seeing? Also there is the fact that my Mag cylinder is reading only 60 psi for compression with all plugs out and throttle wide open. Do I have to Pull the head and inspect? If so can I reuse the head gasket or does it absolutely have to be replaced? Could this be just a stuck reed causing this? I have noticed Flame when looking down the carbs (mag and cen) while it was running...which made me think a stuck open reed valve. Im really not sure where to go next on this. Do I have to rebuild this engine to be able to enjoy it? Or Can I get by with just a carb rebuild? Also seems hard to start sometimes, and dies quite often, and have to choke out to get started, and sometimes spray fuel in carbs...definitely not getting enough fuel, is this mostly just due to the accel pump not spraying??

Sorry for all the questions...If anyone can give me some advice It would be greatly appreciated, I would love to get this jet Ski working, This my first Ski, never even rode one before this, and the few minutes I got to ride her, was a BLAST, and she wasent even running 70% Im sure. Also my MFD IS SHOT big burn mark on lcd. Can This be repaired...Im a electronic technician by trade so I can do it if, it can be done.....

Bought this Ski , no trailer with title for $175
    battery $100
    total so far $275

Also So far parts that I need:
    Carb rebuild kit for all 3 carbs (Plus new accel pump diaphram would be Great )

Banned User
    +1
    The 60 psi cylinder is a problem and must be fixed before running it again. You risk complete engine failure if you continue rrying to run it. The heads use o rings not gaskets. As long as they arent damaged they can be reused. Get the engine healthy before even attempting to tune anything.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have a look at my signature links for first time owners. Lots of relavent info in there.

There should never be flame in the crankcase or below the carburetors. Either the ignition timing is way off or there is something mechanically wrong, such as a hole in a piston.

The key to getting an old watercraft back to correct and reliable operation is to do all the necessary maintenance, updates and component checks.

Do not be in a rush to get it on the water until you have gone through it from end to end, not just the engine but also the jet pump, electrics, all hoses, etc.

Post a photo of the 'burned' MFD display. Does it turn on at all when you press the buttons?

Where is the best place to buy carb kits and top end parts?
    Last edited by SL900TX; 06-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.

First,
    Thank you for your quick replies!

I will go ahead and remove the engine from the skix and start tearing it down, and fully inspect. I will post pictures of what I find.

As, far as the MFD it blows the 1/4 amp fuse instantly and does not power on. I will post a picture of the MFD when I get home from work.

I have also already removed the jet pump, found that the impeller is very knicked up, but im guessing its still useable since it worked fine during the first test run. I will post pictures of the impeller when I get home as well for your opinions. The drive shaft looks great splines are in perfect condition and bearings feel smooth.

What the easiest way to check the timing on this ski? TDC and check mark on flywheel? Thanks look forward to hearing back from everyone.
    Last edited by SL900TX; 06-11-2014 at 01:43 PM.

+1
    im pretty sure I have rebuild kits brand new for the carbs, I'll check. paid like 125 for all three, never used them. Give me 50 and if they fit I'll sell em to you. Text me 951-741-4137 and i'll look at them tomorrow if I hear from you. I'll give you make of rebuild kit and part number so you can verify it will work or not work. We'll go from there if your interested. Happy building! And yes, anything below 100PSI is a blown cylinder generally speaking. Not good to fire up like that. You could ruin the crank or bearings on the connecting rods. My opinion. Rough running is the low cylinder most likely.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SL900TX View Post
    ... the MFD it blows the 1/4 amp fuse instantly and does not power on. I will post a picture of the MFD when I get home from work...
    It sounds like it has shorted internally which is typically fatal.

I happen to be hunting for a few dead MFD to extract the clear plastic face portion. I may be interested in getting yours if it turns out to be non-repairable (which sounds like the case).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bighad View Post
    im pretty sure I have rebuild kits brand new for the carbs, I'll check. paid like 125 for all three, never used them...
    Do you recall which brand the kits are?

bighad, Thanks for the offer on the carb kits, sent you a text definitely interested.

k447, Trying to insert the picture of the non working MFD... wont let me upload the pic... its jpg not sure if im doing something wrong or what!?

Update on the Ski. Last night I added seafoam to the fuel and ran , killed it after 10 mins...checked compression it was reading 85 psi. Today when I got home, re-installed jet pump after cleaning up impeller nicks with a file. The ski started Right up, noticed mag cylinder not getting warm...pulled plug no change ..plugged back in unplugged pto and cen and it died....swapped plugs around and found that the problem followed the plug. So..went and bought new NGK's Installed Fired right up and problem was gone....and it was running smooth!...so I killed it, checked compression and it is now reading 95 ......up 10psi from last night...Im confused...is the seafoam cuasing the compression to get better??? I still have not pulled the head because of the way things went today...

After I got it put all back togather, I brought it down to the river and backed it down in the water still strapped to trailer... started Right up and Idoled!...So ....I unstrapped...and launched....and I started taking off but I had a low to mid bog didn't want to get on top... (Still no accell pump spraying)...But after 5 mins of just putting around all of the sudden It just TOOK OFF LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL....(SHOCKED ME) I rode it for 30 minutes clocked at 54 mph on my phone. Took it back home, flushed out, checked compression and is now at (105 psi Mag) (135 psi Cen) (135 psi Pto) Im baffled that its getting better..but not gonna complain... Can anyone explain this?? And what do I do now?? Should I still take the engine apart? Definitely want to rebuild carbs, and get accelerator pump work... upon inspection found that when I pull throttle fuel is SPRAYING out of the accel pump itself, has a bad seal obviously from me pulling it apart.(I tighten the hell out of it , so I know its tight)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140611_173809.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	332283
    Last edited by K447; 06-12-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information