How far do I go before I get yelled at??

Real quick. I just bought two 03' XLT800's in close to showroom conditon. The lady driven one has 120hrs on it, the guy driven one has 140hrs. Motors were always maintained, fogged every year, stored inside...not sure the depth of the maintenance though.

Questions I have...

1. Carb rebuild-or just clean?

2. Top end rebuild-just do rings?

3. P.V. cleaning/Break off concerns with the 800 motor?

4. Oil lines-address them or go straight to premix?

Probelm I have...

1. Girlfriend yells when I buy things and work on them...

My wife does the same. "Why do you always buy something you have to work on or that always breaks?!"

+1
    I thought I was the only one that had a wife like that. They complain and nag until THEIR ski breaks. Then they want you to drop everything. Such is life! It could be worse...LOL

+1
    First, pull the carbs and clean them (I have seen 2 year old carbs have the internal filters clogged from the crap gas we have to use, and sitting) You let a restricted carb go and you can cook the engine. Install new clamps on oil lines, then pull covers of power valves and clean them. Buy wave eater clips so the pins don't come out, if compression test is good, go ride and have fun.

+1
    First, pull the carbs and clean them (I have seen 2 year old carbs have the internal filters clogged from the crap gas we have to use, and sitting) You let a restricted carb go and you can cook the engine. Install new clamps on oil lines, then pull covers of power valves and clean them. Buy wave eater clips so the pins don't come out, if compression test is good, go ride and have fun.
    PS: Tell the wife the reason you buy things and then work on them is because you love her so much you don't want to waste big money on expensive NEW stuff, so you have money left to buy her diamonds and jewels.

+1
    Im sorry for your wives guys, I love my wife, she supports every project i take on. she loves seeing them come in the garage broken with holes out the side of the block and then going for a ride with me when its all finished.

"For the money you have in this thing, you could buy a brand new sea doo spark with a warranty." She says, lol. I respond, "I could put an engine in a plastic port-a-potty for less than $5k, and have a better boat!" Haha!

And you could drink as much beer as you wanted and never have to stand up to go to the bathroom!!! hahahaha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberd42 View Post
    "For the money you have in this thing, you could buy a brand new sea doo spark with a warranty." She says, lol. I respond, "I could put an engine in a plastic port-a-potty for less than $5k, and have a better boat!" Haha!
    Your wife seem like smart lady, i agree about the Spark being a good deal. Have you tried it? Do so before you compare it to a port-a-potty please...

Hey that price is a steal for a NEW ski. I haven't tried one, I would like to one day. Ive seen the turbo kits out for them already. I just have to rag on plastic stuff, coming from a pilot, we rag on plastic (composite) airplanes but they have just as well if not a better safety record (and sometimes performance) as aluminum aircraft.

I saw a port-a-potty once that had "I could have been a Glasair" etched into the plastic crudely. The spark made me think of that haha!

Thread Information