Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

have you found a way to clean seaweed topside?

My daughter takes the Polaris out lots when we are down in the Keys, there is one area that is a no wake and always has lots of sea-grass. We have no way of avoiding it. She will not get into the water in this area after seeing a couple of huge bull sharks. Anyway I was trying to figure some type of a devise that she could use to clean the intake with out having to go in? Any ideas?

Banned User
    +1
    Nope. Time for a swim

+1
    Talk someone else into getting in!!

If you come up with one, please share!!!

4. +1 by:

What I was thinking of is like a 10' length of rope with fixed hard plastic claws run in different directions that she could throw over the bow of the ski and slide it back to the pump intake and just pull it left to right and dislodge the majority of the grass. However in my experience the majority of the grass is already packed into the grate. So that may not work so well.

+1
    And wrapped around the exposed drive shaft....... That's the stuff that keeps you from moving....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
    What I was thinking of is like a 10' length of rope with fixed hard plastic claws run in different directions that she could throw over the bow of the ski and slide it back to the pump intake and just pull it left to right and dislodge the majority of the grass. However in my experience the majority of the grass is already packed into the grate. So that may not work so well.
    I recall reading about a commercial product like that several years ago. Apparently it worked so well that I have not read about it since ...

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    And wrapped around the exposed drive shaft....... That's the stuff that keeps you from moving....
    LOL obviously she would shut the engine off first, she is a girl but she is not dumb. And on my machine the drive shaft is not exposed, and putting the rope around the bow would be easier than trying to work it around the nozzle and reverse bucket.

I guess she isn't taking the ski out anytime soon then lol. Theres no way to tell what your grabbing or how much is still left in the grate.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper1343 View Post
    I guess she isn't taking the ski out anytime soon then lol. Theres no way to tell what your grabbing or how much is still left in the grate.
    Yeah you might be right. The area she has to go through connects the ocean with the gulf and you have to go through a no wake and under a bridge, that seems to be the area that attracts the big bull sharks. So if she got themajorityy of the grass off so she could make it through and jump off in clean water, she has no problem doing that.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    LOL obviously she would shut the engine off first, she is a girl but she is not dumb. And on my machine the drive shaft is not exposed, and putting the rope around the bow would be easier than trying to work it around the nozzle and reverse bucket.
    I think he was talking about getting long weedy material wrapped around the drive shaft, then having to hack it off before the machine will run properly.

On all PWC that I am aware of the drive shaft is exposed to the intake water flow, just above the intake grate. Not unusual for fibrous stuff to get wrapped around in there if it gets past the intake grate.

I have removed weed balls the size of a basketball from the intake grates, usually machines being ridden by others ...

Once the impeller starts cavitating due to restricted intake water flow, that usually means someone is going swimming to get it cleared.

The worst jams tend to be pieces of rope that get sucked into the jet pump and wrapped tightly around the drive shaft and impeller blades. I carry a folding tree pruning saw and long filet knife for that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information