Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Yamaha 1200 Xl ltd shops want $2,600 to repair need advice and help

1999 Yamaha 1200 xl ltd

So I took my waveruner in the shop for what I thought was carb rebuild. They did a compression test and told me that the compression is 120/121/104

They put a bore scope on it and said the cyclinder is scored.

They want $2,600 for the carb rebuild and engine top end. And more if the cyclinder needs to be recoated.

I am wondering if I can fix the one cyclinder and get buy with that and doing the carbs..

Help

Here is the link to the pictures and what the shop said

https://www.facebook.com/CoronaMotorWorx

+1
    Don't spend $2600 to fix it as it is not worth that much.
    I would either fix it myself, spending about $600-$750 for cylinder, piston, gaskets and carb kits, or sell as is for $800 and buy another ski.

+1
    Thats a tough one. I bought 2 non-running 99 XLL's a few years ago for cheap, but I ended up with way more than I even expected and I did all the work. However you already have this one, so if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, rebuild #3 your self and do the carbs, or send them to WFO for rebuild. $2600 is way too much, you can get a rebuilt engine for much less than that. I doubt you can get $800 for a broke 99 XLL unless it is a beautiful perfect boat otherwise, for the same reason, too much money invested.

Rebuild the carbs and engine yourself,its not hard if your mechanically inclined....Just replace all the rings on the pistons(given the pistons are fine)...and if the walls of the cylinder are not to deeply scorned you could just rehone it(Do yourself or get a machine shop $75)........or just get it bored over 0.5 and replace that piston as well.........new single piston kit ($89-$120) and rings for the other 2 pistons($21 each piston),engine gasket kit and carb rebuild kit..........you should be under $700 for total....convert to premix...

+1
    Some times the bore scope can make it look worse than what it is with the light refraction off the shiny scratches. It's easy to pull the head and see for yourself if the cylinder will clean up with a hone and rings or if it needs boring/replating to remove scratches...sometimes it's easier to replace with used/New cylinder depending on damage. Have a look, see if you can snag a fingernail on the scratches

+1
    if u decide to do the 2600, i have a perfectly running xl limited with 33 hours original, for 2900.... perfectly mint.... 2600 bucks for a cylinder and piston is a highway robery if you ask me no matter how they phrase their professionalism... unless they are rebuilding entire motor, inspecting crank, doing all the seals and ALL the gaskets, other than that its a 3 hour job. pull the Head, see whats up.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice. I also thought $2,600 was insane. Needless to say I will not be doing business with this repair shop in the future. It is also frustrating that it took them a week and a half to do the compression test and bore scope the cylinder.

This also started by taking the carbs off before doing the compression and bore scope. They wanted 2 hours for the labor since they took the carbs off when they could of done the compression test and bore scope in less than an hour. After voicing me concerns over this they are only going to charge me one hour of labor. I am going to pick it up this Saturday.

I will be pulling the head and see what it looks like. I am hoping I can fix it myself with the help of friends if needed and the advice of this forum.

The shipping to southern California would be $$$. Is shipping included in your price.

+1
    PM me if you have any questions. i know these skis inside out. will be glad to advise anyway i can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information