Question Potomac river/leesylvania fuel locations?

Hey guys!

Last summer, I started riding the Potomac, launching at Leesylvania State Park. It's been great, but it seems to be pretty far from any public fueling docks, which limits how far north/south I can go. Part of the problem is that I'm really paranoid about running out of gas, so I haven't been willing to push past where my gauge reads half a tank without knowing if I'll make it or not. (I think the gauge is pessimistic about how much half is, but I'm not sure.)

Are there fuel stations I just don't know about, or that I can definitely make it to from the Leesylvania ramp? Google maps hasn't been much help.

I found the marina at quantico, but they said that civilians aren't really supposed to use it, and it's not really out enough to help.

+1
    See if this helps: http://pwctrailfinder.com/Washington...railRides.html

Leaving the ramp at Leesylvania and going north to the beginning of this trail, then continuing north (to complete the trail) should be about 35 miles one way. Round trip, 70. Depending on the bike you ride, you may be able to do that on one tank. If fuel is a concern, call the Columbia Island Marina, near the bottom of the track on the map. Make sure they will refuel a PWC. The contact info can be found be clicking the icon in the map.

Good luck,

'Gator

Thanks, I'll call that marina, see what they can do. Any options to the south?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blorgfreth View Post
    Thanks, I'll call that marina, see what they can do. Any options to the south?
    Ha - only what you would send me from your ride. Seriously, that is all I have - a JSJ group made that little DC trip and they sent it to me. As far as research goes - Google Earth is your friend.

You can go south far. Look up goose bay marina. You can fill up there

+1
    Off topic but......... We are putting in at Leesylvania this Sunday and going a wee bit north to checkout Coleman's Sea Poo test drive event thing, then cruising around for the rest of the day. Probably gonna check out Mallows Bay shipwreck/graveyard and what not. Come hang with us.

Thread Information