Advice for 03' XLT Removal/Replacement

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so let me give you a little bit of back-story. I have a 03’ XLT that I had the engine and carbs replaced on. Fast-forward a year and the ski shuts down mid season. I get it home and find oil in the hull from where the third cylinder line came off. Since I did not have a good experience with the shop that originally did the repairs (and im already upside down), I took it to a dealer for an assessment. As you might guess, no compression from the cylinder and its probably damaged. Not looking to spend another grand for labor, I got the ticket number from the shop and contacted SBT about the warranty. Once I found out the warranty was still good, I decided to remove and install it myself. Taking some advice from this forum, I built a dolly with some wood I had and used liquid rollers to take the ski off the trailer. I have the SBT removal guide but im not sure how thorough it is. My plan is to add a block off kit to the new engine. Any advice, tips, or precautions before I start the removal would be greatly appreciated.

I will update with pics as I go along.

Thanks

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to GH!

the biggest tip I can give you as a first timeer on an engine swap is to take meticulous notes( and pictures) and get a box of plastic baggies and label each and every nut bolt and washer you remove.

good to have some help to lift the engine out.

You'll need a flywheel puller and some slightly above average hand tools to strip the engine for shipment to SBT

put the engine back together, as SBT may not honor a warranty if you've torn the engine apart ( only THEY can determine cause of failure for warranty, if the engine shows up there and the head was removed, they could refuse to warranty it)

Personally, I don't like premix, but since you've been burned already on the infamous oilline failure issue, then go for it. If it was me, I'd replace the oil lines and use safety wire to secure them to the carbs and pump.

Always pull on wrenches(never push) and screwdrivers are for screwin..not prying

good luck!

+1
    X 2 on not liking premix for non-racing/modified Yamahas (old raiders, ventures, and blasters excluded). Just properly secure the oil lines and you will be fine.

Thanks for the input guys. The plastic bag idea is great, I didn't think of that. It has already helped a lot because my kids' activities have pulled me away from completing this in a timely manner not to mention having parts all over while I wait on the return.

Once I get this ski running, my plan is to trade it and my sea-don't toward a new ski. With that in mind, I don't really have a preference on the premix or pump. I figured if the dealer doesn't give me what I want for the two skis, I could put them online and it would be more appealing to someone with knowledge of 2-stroke skis. What kind of clamps would you suggest securing the lines with.

I also have a question about removing the port side exhaust bolts connecting the front exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. How do I get it off? It's to close to the hull. I cant even get a swivel socket on it. I will go ahead and start a project thread later today and re-post this question.

Thanks again for the input. I appreciate any advice I can get.

+1
    As to your question about the exhaust: Use a short socket and a wobble extension. A tip I have done on all my XLT's/XLL's is to make a mark in the top of the hull where the seat sits and where an extension would go to get to that hard to get to bolt. Take a dremel/carbide bit and make a 1/2" half circle "relief" in the inside of the hull, not going to far as to effect the seal of the seat. This will give you additional clearance to get that bolt loosened and out. Also unfasten all the wiring and cables near it to gain better access.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat82 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The plastic bag idea is great, I didn't think of that. It has already helped a lot because my kids' activities have pulled me away from completing this in a timely manner not to mention having parts all over while I wait on the return.

Once I get this ski running, my plan is to trade it and my sea-don't toward a new ski. With that in mind, I don't really have a preference on the premix or pump. I figured if the dealer doesn't give me what I want for the two skis, I could put them online and it would be more appealing to someone with knowledge of 2-stroke skis. What kind of clamps would you suggest securing the lines with.

I also have a question about removing the port side exhaust bolts connecting the front exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. How do I get it off? It's to close to the hull. I cant even get a swivel socket on it. I will go ahead and start a project thread later today and re-post this question.

Thanks again for the input. I appreciate any advice I can get.

Thread Information