Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 slt 700 rebuild

I need some help. bought a 97 slt 700 took it out and it ran good for a bit and died. plugs were dry. took it into a shop. was told they took the head off and it has a bad piston/cylinder. the price they want to rebuild it its not worth it. I think I can do this my self. few questions I have. if the good piston/cylinder is standard boar can the replacement one be bored out a little or do I need to get one with factory boar? and can this be done without pulling the entire engine?

Banned User
    +1
    Your best bet would be to tear it down and see what it needs. A 700 can be rebuilt for around 700 bucks for a complete rebuild.

at that price wouldn't I just be better off buying a rebuilt motor for $750 from say somewhere like here.. http://www.shopsbt.com/polaris-jet-s...virage-tx.html?

or should I just part it out, or sell it "as is" I only paid $500 for the thing and the rest of it is in nice shape....what I really was hoping for was it to be as easy as leaving the motor in, taking off the head and the cylinder, replace piston replace jug and be done. I can get a piston/jug with sleeve/head for $125 on ebay. but I guess if it failed theres prob a reason it failed. I don't know much about it yet as its at my parents house. the mechanic said all he did was take off the head and you could see that the piston was wobbling around in there and closed it back up. could be something deeper like the crank huh?

Banned User
    +1
    If you are only into the ski for 500, I would have no problem dumping 1000 bucks into it to make it nice, and reliable. You could go the SBT route if you wanted to. There are many options out there. It may be as simple as just doing a top end on the motor too. You really wont know the answer until you get into the motor and check it out.

well I bough this ski along with a 94 sea doo sp and a double trailer for 1500. so I figure 500 each for the skis and trailer. the doo runs ok. this oe I ran for a whole 10 min it ran great and it died. the doo same thing. took them to a mechanic. he cleaned the carbs on the doo and it ran great all day. they thought they had the slt fixed, the ahd it running again and it ran great for a while and died out again and they couldn't get it restarted. that's when they pulled the head.

you said there are many options out there....what other options do I have other than sbt or try to rebuild it? I cant find much out there. and the shop told me it would cost more than its worth for them to rebuild it. i don't even know what i would be looking for other than the obvious bad pistons/cylinder. the only experience i have with rebuilding a motor was a nitro motor on my r/c truck. its gotta be the same concept only bigger right? I am kinda nervous to dig in my self spend $300 on parts and it still doesn't run, that's why if i could find a decent running motor for say 4 00 or 500 i would get it but after spending 1500 already on the package the wife isn't too pleased with the idea of dropping another grand lol.

Banned User
    +1
    My only advice I can give with watercraft is that if you try to do it cheap you will have nothing but problems. What most likely killed your motor is carb problems or an air leak.

Get the factory manual tear down the motor and see what you need. It costs nothing to take it apart.

Banned User
    +1
    Another pet peeve of mine. Spending more than a ski is supposedly worth to fix it. These are toys not investments. Spend what you want to end up with a fun reliable machine. Remember these are no fun if they arent reliable.

thanks for the info. if the piston is loose in the cylinder that's probally pointing to a rod/crank issue I am assuming? I will have a look at it tomorrow I am thinking if I can make room in my garage.

so I found a guy down by Madison who has a 700 he said the electrical is bad on it. 125psi on both holes. looks like it has the carbs and stator and all that good stuff still on it. $500. sound like a good price? I think I am going to pick it up from him this weekend. crappy part is I am up by green bay so that's quite the haul. but if I can save $300 instead of ordering one from sbt I think its a win. I could end up over 500 into my motor if the crank ends up being bad anyways. and if its not then I have a spare. when I got the ski I was concerned when I pulled the plugs and one had rust on it. I should have known at the point to tear it down.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    My first ski was a 780SLT. It was running when I got it, but based on advice here I redid all the fuel. Glad I did as the MAG cylinder was close to a burndown.

I now have 4 780SLTs and an SLX, so fair warning!

If you want to figure out what went wrong, tear the engine down. SBT doesn't need the whole thing anyway if you buy one of theirs, just the jugs and crank and bottom halves and all the associated bolts and nuts. So no harm in ripping it apart to have a look even if you do plan to swap with them.

If the other ski allegedly was running and has bad electrical, I would take a small single LED flexible flashlight and take a look in each cylinder with the piston at bottom and see if the wash pattern looks OK and there is no obvious damage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information