OK guys what am I missing here lol? No response from starter.

Took a really clean little 96 SPI in on trade a couple of days ago and am working on it today to see why it wont start. Very clean unit for a 96 model ski so I figured Ill keep it for the friends who always want to tag along.
    Previous owner said that it would start and sometimes not. Also said that one time starter just kept going even after they let the button off. Disconnected the battery to get it to quit.
    Having said that here's what I have checked.

Installed a new starter solenoid........ nothing

Removed and cleaned the ground wire at the motor........ nothing

Checked the voltage at the solenoid 12.46

Checked the voltage to the 5 amp fuse 12.18

Checked the voltage to the 15 amp fuse 12.08

Cleaned the post and lanyard key

While I had the box apart I tried jumping a wire across both terminals of the solenoid and she cranked over good.
    I went ahead and did a compression check and she showed 140 on the dot for both cylinders. Now if I can just get it to hit on the starter I will be in business. Anything you guys can think of that I might need to check?

Thank you!

+1
    You are getting 2 beeps when you install the lanyard? Check continuity through the start button.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the emm might be bad. You'll notice that the yellow and red wire that fires the solenoid comes out of the emm's epoxy cover. Starter solenoid staying on is a symptom. There is an internal timer in the small emm's that shut them off after a few minutes(intermittent starting when it wants to clue), likely a short internally, check to see if the fuses look recent, or any cracks in the surface of the expoy.

the 96 spi according to the parts diagram uses a cap/post kill switch, no dess.

this all of course assumes a 96 spi and not a gtx for example, which does use DESS.

Likely to see almost anything on a 96 model year ski.

Luckily the emm for that model is not killer expensive.

if memory services there is a small gauge ground wire from the battery to the back electric box..make sure it's actually connected.

Ok I'm learning as I go here. I went out and bought me a new multimeter so how do I check the start stop switch? I also looked and there is no electric box in the rear and I only have one ground wire going to the battery and one positive wire going to the battery.
    I went ahead and just jumped a screwdriver over both solenoid posts to see if it would turn over and it turns over with no hesitation. But there is no spark going to the plugs when I do this.

Ok did some more checking. It has the beeper to verify start etc... When I place the lanyard on I get no sound. I unplugged the beeper and check for volts with both the lanyard on and the Lanyard off. Nothing either way.
    correct me if I am wrong but once your apply the lanyard you have to have volts to fire off the buzzer?
    I am starting to gather that there is power going into the box (12.45 at the solenoid) but it seems that anything on the other side of the loop is not getting voltage. So I guess I'm wondering what part should I be testing. Battery is good and ground is good or I wouldn't be getting anything at the solenoid correct?

+1
    Ok. The solenoid will have a 2 large lugs. 1 goes to the starter, 1 connects to the battery hot. 2 smaller wires come from the control box. One is ground the other gets voltage when you push the start button.

That being said, the control box has a separate positive and gnd connection. So you could have 12v at the big solenoid lug, but not to the control box. There is usually a master fuse. Check that. I am not familiar with your ski, but can download the manual and try to help you if you need it.

+1
    Just to mention, but a common issue when people check wiring is that they put the negative lead of the multi-meter on the battery. Then probe with the positive lead. This shows you that you have power at the point, not that the control has a solid gnd. I always check the controls ground to where it enters the box, and put the positive lead on the battery and probe that connection with the negative. Should show 12v. Anything less and you have a bad gnd to the control.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you sniff around you'll find some pages on how to test the older Seadoo emm's with resistance measures only, but I'd bet the emm is damaged since it provides the control for the starter solenoid. take a look at the wiring diagram for that ski. The starter button does not directly control the solenoid, the emm processes the starter button to turn on the ignition AND crank the engine./

Does that emm have any 4 pole relays plugged into them?..or just black epoxy coverings the works?

Thread Information