Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did I Make big mistake

I just rebuilt my motor 2000 xl1200 when I installed new sbt head gaskets I did not use copper spray as recommended ,because I didn't know or bother to read instructions lol do I have to pull it back apart or will I be ok , experienced answers well appreciated thanks

+1
    It's not that hard to pull the head off. Do those gaskets not have any coating on them??

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey2552 View Post
    I just rebuilt my motor 2000 xl1200 when I installed new sbt head gaskets I did not use copper spray as recommended ,because I didn't know or bother to read instructions lol do I have to pull it back apart or will I be ok , experienced answers well appreciated thanks
    the sbt gasket does not have a teflon coating like the factory gasket. So i recommend you spray the gasket.

Yeah , it's the base cylinder gasket that don't and exhaust to head , I didn't spray either , runs good on hose but every few seconds there's a sputter that almost sounds metallic ping maybe I think it might be water

So if I take it back apart what gaskets will I have to reorder or are they all reusable

And it's number 3 it sounds like , not hole motor

Quote Originally Posted by Casey2552 View Post
    And it's number 3 it sounds like , not hole motor

Here red is update ,I listened to green hulk members and common sense lol took it back apart what're was leaking everywhere internally , had to dry out crank and relube , I then sprayed all gaskets with copper spray I reused old gasket with fingers crossed , started it up and ran fine no different from before just didn't smoke as much , so I'm unsure if I fixed my problem how will I know if it's ok , thanks again to all of you for replys

Also after getting in there I seen numbe three already started scoring , why is it always number 3 that has problems every one on these forums with a problem , is number 3 is there a problem in the design , I know oil line didn't come off and I'm running 50:1 in gas tank for break in I ran it 20 min on the hose I'm confused and discouraged about these motors now

Number 3 is always suspect as it's the last one to get cooling water and it's closest to
    the rear crank seal (which really needs replacing after two or three riding seasons). The front crank seal is sealed again by the mag cover, so an air leak at the front has to be pretty big before it becomes a problem.

I am rebuilding a 1200 pv engine right now as well. I am going to convert to premix and redo carbs before firing it up... What can I do to prevent the 3rd cylinder from getting damaged like Casey noticed on a freshly rebuilt engine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information