Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is there any way to tell if the Exhaust valves have been updated on a 04 RXP ?

I bought a 04 RXP and have heard the exhaust valves need to be updated. I am going to tear it down ,to pull the head off,and check if it has been updated. Is there any markings or visual difference between the stock and the newer stainless style? A buddy has the same Sea-doo and it dropped a valve destroying the motor.I do not want to find out the hard way . It has 120 hrs and the previous owner bought it at a auction and has no idea. There has been some work done because some of the stock crimp hose clamps have been replaced with screw to tighten ones.

+1
    U can take off the valve cover and look at the model number on the exhaust valves. It should be near the top of the stem. If the model number starts with a 72, then they are the bad ones!

3. +1 by:

They say 72523T

Has anyone reused the stock head bolts. It is going to be used as a cruiser and not raced or pushed hard, most of the time with my daughter saying "slow down" at 35mph

+1
    Make sure that you are checking the exhaust ones those are the ones prone to failure.. intake ones could be 72 and that is not a problem. know the exhaust ones you want them to have start with a 75.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher187 View Post
    Has anyone reused the stock head bolts. It is going to be used as a cruiser and not raced or pushed hard, most of the time with my daughter saying "slow down" at 35mph
    head bolts are strech bolts and they have to be replace

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedjunky787 View Post
    Shop manual says they can be reused as long as they are within spec for length.

For the few extra bucks I would replace then with new bolts or use ARP head studs. I did the valves on both my machines and used ARP studs on the RXP because of higher boost and new oem bolts on the GTX as it's stock.

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunky787 View Post
    Not true, this topic has been debated at length. It is OK to reuse head bolts if they meet the length spec in the manual AND the bolt provides consistent torque resistance at the last angle steps. I (and others) have experienced both new and used bolts that didnt exhibit the proper final torque resistance. The bottom line is that buying new bolts is no insurance that you will have a better result than using old bolts. (All the above statement assumes a stock or mild performance engine, studs are preferred for highly modded engines.)

11. +1 by:

Cool I bought a set of ARP studs but I will check the stock bolts when I tear it down . I did not want to wait another week for parts. I bought the $33.88 valves on Ebay and a full gasket kit with the studs. I also picked up the Cheap $40 supercharger washers < my buddy has the tools for swapping them out. Should make for a summer of fun. Hope buying all the cheap stuff does not bite me in the ass , at least I got the "junk" out of the motor. I was thinking about the flywheel bolts and the rocker bolts too but I don't want to get carried away

+1
    stop right there 72523T are solid, I went over this befor I think on a sticky the aftermarket exaust valves the MFG. went to this #, I have one in fron of me that is cut in half almost to show this is true the bad ones are 72524TK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_161808.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	332456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_161815.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	332457

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information