Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Awesome ride today in South LA! Ever pull the pump with the OEM tool kit?

Google Satelite maps can be detrimental to the health of your jet pump. . .

So I live just south of Baton Rouge, LA in Gonzales and keep my ski maybe 2 miles from Port Vincent on the Amite river. From Port Vincent, if you go downstream, there are alot of camps, the river is wide, not much trash, muddy bottom. Then, the banks get swampy as you get close to Lake Maurepas, which empties into it's big brother, Lake Pontchartrain. If you go upriver, it gradually turns into a creek, of sorts. The bottom gets sandy, the river gets narrow, with lots of dead trees in the water and lots of shallow spots.

Anyway. . . on Google Satelite maps I noticed that I could go up the Amite all the way to I-12 near Denham Springs. From the overhead, it looks like a fun ride with lots of turns and sandy beaches. Looked like about 20 miles one-way.

So I set out today heading upstream. I brought a friend of mine who is a pretty strong guy (could come in handy if we have to push), mechanically inclined, and just crazy enough to try this and keep his head on straight if we have trouble. No, I am not gay, and we did keep the obligatory 12" anti-gay space at all times.

At about 15 miles, it started getting fun. All the dead tree limbs were like an obstacle course and the RXP was an absolute blast darting through them. The ski handles very nicely and is reponsive! 4 miles later, it started getting more and more shallow with more limbs in the water. At times, you could feel the ski "lift up" as you pass over shallow spots and underwater trees. Talk about make your eyes get widen!

Anyway, we got to a spot in the river where it looked just too shallow with too many trees, so we decided to walk the ski through. We hopped off and found the water to be only 6" deep! We pulled it part-way through, got on, hit the gas, hit something in the water, then the ski wouldn't go and was vibrating badly. Keep in mind, we're about 18 miles from the landing and it looks like a scene from Deliverance. No signs of life here. Well, not human life.

I checked the intake grate. It was clear. I looked in the nozzle and didn't see anything either. I thought for a minute, pulled out the OEM tool kit, tried the spark plug socket on a pump bolt and it fit! After a quick discussion of our alternatives (which were getting scarce at the time) and decided to try and pull the jet pump. We drug the ski into shallow water and lifted the rear up onto a log. At this point, I was thankful I took him and not the 95 lb lawyer-chick I had with me the weekend before. Anyhow, it was a challenge, but we did manage to remove the pump and clear the wood out of it. A while later, we were back underway. I started doubting whether or not it was wise to continue forward, but my buddy said we can't turn back without success. So, we pressed onward. A couple miles and alot of slaloming and big grins later, we made it to I-12!

On the return trip, I decided to use a different strategy. Haul @ss through the areas with tree limbs. It worked, as we made it all the way back without incident.

Sorry for the long write-up. Just had a really good time today, had problems, and overcame. I'm sure my new wear-ring is toast though.

Say what you want about it not being good to run the ski in shallow water, but this is the most fun I ever had on a jet ski and that's what we have these things for, right?

Mike

you suck...

(OK, maybe not in a gay way but in the "Hi, I'm Boosted, the weather here is great and I ride everyday and you can't" kinda way...

btw: "No, I am not gay, and we did keep the obligatory 12" anti-gay space at all times. " dat's sum funny chit...

JP

+1
    Does the amite river have sand bars along the banks for beer stops.

Your nuts Mike!...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by buddydoo View Post
    Does the amite river have sand bars along the banks for beer stops.
    Plenty. You have to go about 10 miles upstream from the nearest boat launch ("Big John's" or "Fred's" in Port Vincent) to get to them. Luckily, that doesn't take long on the RXP. Once you get to the first one, they come about every 1/8 - 1/4 mile. The sand is even white! Surprising for a South La river.

Let me know if you want to meet up and make the ride! Maybe we could get Hoss to come also. Just know that your wear ring won't leave in the same shape it came in. . . Though, you don't have to go as far as we did to reach the beaches and have fun.

Mike

+1
    Cool,we will have to do that We go that way off of I-55 to get to propstop inn often.

+1
    Here's a link to an overhead shot of the last mile or 2. You can see all the sandy beaches.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...66776&t=h&om=0

Mike

had the same thing happen to me, 3/16 diameter twig about an inch long stuck on the impeller brought me down to 2mph. I'm wondering if the sharp leading edge was smoothed down some if this would be less likely to happen.

+1
    Dam mike,did you pass I-12 or was it to shallow before.

+1
    It was shallow before 12, but we made it through. It actually got deep at the Interstate. Weird. We coulda' continued on, but it was only getting shallower and I had acheived my goal.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information